Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Monthly Running Recap - September + October + Adult Tap Stuff

Let's start with the fun stuff.  This year for the recital, my tap class is dancing to a medley of songs from the 1980s.  The medley will contain a clip from a song from each year of the '80s, starting with Pat Benatar.  We were just told that we will be making our own costumes this year and I am so excited because I was made for this.  There are no real restrictions.  It just has to look like it's from the '80s and we, obviously, need to be able to dance in it.

The 10 year old in me wants to go with a Madonna theme.  While the teenager in me is longing for a return to the late '80s.  All I need to do is slap one of these onto a jean jacket and I'm good to go.


Yes, these are mine from the '80s.  #hoarder

I've told you guys many times how I wanted to take dance classes when I was growing up.  I wish I could remember where it came from (was it a gift?), but I did have a dance outfit that I wore to choreograph my own dances.  It was typical of the '80s and included leg warmers.  I even tied a ribbon around my waist to pretty it up.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a dance themed outfit.  Leotard, off the shoulder shirt, spandex.  I do have to keep in mind that it is always very warm/hot dance recital weekend and the school where the recital takes place is not air conditioned.  Most schools here are not.

So . . . running.  Rich ran the Falmouth Road Race back in August.  A couple of other family members also had numbers, including a brother-in-law of mine who used to run but now, not so much.  I should also mention he smokes and is significantly older than I am.  I heard through the grapevine that he was going to walk/run the race.

Before the race results were posted online, I told Rich and the girls that if BIL had a time of 1:10 or better, I was going to quit running.  It was a petty, impulsive statement made out of frustration.  Technically, it appears that I should be able to run faster but if you've been in the running community for a good stretch of time, you quickly learn not to discriminate against those who may not look like runners.  That is strictly your opinion.

Despite my statements that it's okay to be a "slower" runner (again with the opinion on what is slow), it's hard for me to escape that negativity at times.  Even when it's just in my own head.

The finish time listed on the race results for the number registered to my BIL was less than 1:10.  The girls immediately asked if I was quitting.  I obviously didn't but I had to get myself mentally back to a good place.  Back to where it's okay to run at my own pace.  It's human nature to want to be super awesome doing things we like and a tough pill to swallow when we realize that we're not.

As it turns out, someone else ran the race using that number, not my older, smoker BIL.  I would type out the whole moral of the story but I think we're all smart enough to figure that out.        


Total mileage for September - 53.75 miles
Total mileage for October - 57 miles

Subtotal for the year - 463 miles

9/02 - 4 miles
9/03 - 3 miles
9/05 - 4.5 miles
9/07 - 4 miles (time 38:34) + tap class
9/09 - 4.5 miles
9/11 - 5 miles
9/13 - 3 miles
9/14 - Tap class
9/16 - 4 miles
9/18 - 3 miles
9/19 - 1 mile (with the kids)
9/21 - Tap class
9/23 - 2.5 miles (ran out of time, had to cut it short)
9/25 - 5 miles
9/27 - 4 miles
9/28 - Tap class
9/30 - 6.25 miles

10/02 - 3 miles
10/03 - 4 miles
10/05 - 2 miles + tap class
10/07 - 6 miles (time 1:02:55 - right hip/leg issues)
10/10 - 3 miles (time 29:42)
10/11 - 4 miles
10/12 - Tap class
10/16 - 4 miles
10/19 - 3 miles + tap class
10/21 - 5 miles
10/23 - 5 miles
10/25 - 5 miles
10/26 - Tap class
10/27 - 3 miles
10/29 - 5 miles
10/31 - 5 miles

To read my recap from August, click here.

No comments: