Sunday, September 9, 2018

Monthly Running Recap - August

I've noticed quite a few fashion bloggers sharing their running escapades as of late.  Perhaps sharing provides them the opportunity to link to their shorts, shirts, sports bras, socks, shoes, headband and sunnies.  Whatever the motive, please, please don't believe that you need expensive clothes in order to run.  You don't.

You also don't need a fancy watch.  What did runners do before the invention of activity trackers?

Out of all my running gear, I spend the most money on my sneakers.  And that makes sense, right?  Your feet are pounding pavement, they should be protected and provide the proper support for your body.  If you're new to running, I highly recommend visiting a speciality running store and having them fit you for shoes.  Please, please don't buy a pair of sneakers just because a blogger links to them and claims she runs in them.  Our feet and bodies are all different.  What works for one, may not work at all for another.

Maybe it's because I'm old and don't care anymore (although, I never really have cared all that much) or maybe it's because I'm frugal, but I refuse to spend $$$ on running clothes.  If you're doing it right, those clothes will get all sweaty and gross over and over.  I simply want them to be functional and comfortable.  I typically buy running gear by checking the clearance racks at sporting goods stores.  I don't care if items match.  I was laughing to myself a couple of weeks ago when I went out for a run wearing a bright yellow shirt with blue and orange shorts.  Yes, I needed to do laundry.  I usually don't look that wacky.  Speaking of laundry, I line dry all my running clothes, except for socks.  My sports bras last longer without the heat breaking down the elastic.  
 
I understand some people buy more expensive items because they've found that those brands fit them best.  And that's okay.  My feelings have more to do with people believing they need to wear a certain brand of workout clothes or spend $$$ when they don't.  I guess I'm in an anti-influencer mood tonight.

Okay, so let's talk about last month.  The month of August went down as the hottest one on record for the city of Boston and I can't remember the last time we've had a summer this hot and humid.  Typically, we experience temperatures all over the place, from heat waves to the 60s.  Not this summer.  This definitely impacted my running and I'm assuming that of everyone else, because, man, it was like moving through thick, heavy air most days.  Our treadmill is located in the basement, which is not air conditioned, so even running inside wasn't a break from the heat.  I kept on moving, even though it was very slow going.

I'm pretty happy with my mileage for this month.  Our Disney vacation sort of messed things up and I missed out on some days of running, but such is life.  

Total mileage for the month - 50.4 miles
Subtotal for the year - 352.25 miles

8/01 - Tap class
8/02 - 2.4 miles (hot and humid, heading towards heat advisory, I went out too late in the day)
8/03 - 5 miles
8/05 - 4 miles
8/07 - 3 miles
8/08 - Tap class
8/09 - 4 miles
8/12 - 5 miles
8/14 - 4 miles
8/16 - 4 miles
8/19 - 4 miles (time 40:32)
8/20 - 3 miles (time 29:58)
8/22 - 4 miles
8/28 - 3 miles
8/31 - 5 miles

To see my recap from July, click here.

No comments: