Monday, September 10, 2018

{Disney 2018} Day 1 - Happily Ever After

If you're just catching up and want to read the previous post from this trip report, click here.

After walking around, checking out the pool and resort, we returned to our rooms to change for dinner.  A week before our vacation, I was able to find a reservation at a time that worked for us at Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner, which is held at 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian.  The girls are used to eating dinner before 6:00.  Now that I'm at home, eating a light lunch and limiting my snacking throughout the afternoon, I, too, need to eat dinner prior to 6:00.

When I originally made my dining reservations at the 180 day mark, I had left this day empty because we hadn't booked flights and didn't know what our plans were going to be.  Disney later added a free dining promotion beginning a couple of days before our arrival and that killed dining options.  I had to play the game of waiting for cancellations.  So, for our first night, I was looking for a reservation at either 1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickey's or Whispering Canyon Cafe.  1900 Park Fare was the first one that popped up at a decent time.  I could have made a reservation at either of the other two restaurants we were interested in for 8:00 or 9:00 that night, but that didn't work for us at all.

9.10k

It's important to note that Magical Express does not deliver your luggage right away so plan to pack whatever essentials you'll need for the first couple of hours after your arrival in your carry-on luggage.  I had the girls' princess dresses in garment bags I carried on the plane.  They packed bathing suits and underwear in their bags.  I always pack items that would be a total hassle to replace in my carry-on - my glasses and extra pair of contacts.  I also packed some underwear in case my luggage was delayed.  I figured I could wear the same clothes the next day but it'd be nice to have fresh underwear.  We weren't overly concerned with lost luggage (as you can tell from my previous post) mainly because this was a direct flight.  Our luggage had not been delivered by the time we left for dinner, and that was okay because we had everything we needed.

Allie requested a Cinderella dress and Emily wanted another pink Cinderella dress.  Her dress from two years ago was too small.  I always thought it would be funny to dress the girls in outfits representing the three stages of Cinderella:  rags dress, pink dress, blue dress.  But then someone would be wearing a rags dress and that didn't seem fair.  Anna and I were discussing what she wanted to wear to this dinner and she kept saying she would wear a rags dress but I just couldn't let that happen.  She finally said she wanted an Anastasia dress.  Thankfully, Grammy had time to whip that one up because I did not have any time at all.

9.10a

Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner is a character meal featuring Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, and the stepsisters.  The food is served buffet style and when it comes to buffets, I feel like in trying to please everyone, you end up with an odd selection of food.  I'm not going to sit here and tell you that this is the BEST dinner ever.  It's good.  Not the best, but still good.

9.10b

9.10c

Because I've been eating smaller meals, and snacking in between when needed, I just cannot stuff myself.  I know some people like buffets due to the "all you eat" aspect, but for me, I really just want good food.  Quality over quantity.  At this buffet, the pulled pork and cornbread were my favorite.  Very tasty.  I liked everything I put on my plate, except for the curried chicken.

9.10d

Anna dressed as Anastasia actually earned her quite a bit of attention with the characters.

9.10e

9.10f

9.10g

9.10h

There was a good selection of desserts, with the famous bread pudding earning a gold medal.  A few days later, we happened to be walking behind other guests of the resort and one of them was saying how 1900 Park Fare is known for their bread pudding and some people go to eat there just for the bread pudding because it's that good.  I will confirm that it really was that good.

9.10i
Desserts:  Brownies, Rice Krispy treats, apple cobbler, warm bread pudding with vanilla sauce, and chocolate chip cookies.

9.10j
More:  Chocolate mousse, cheesecake, fruit tart, key lime tart, carrot cake, cannoli.

After dinner, we returned to our rooms so the girls could change into their bathing suits.  Perfect timing for us as the storms had cleared and the pools reopened right when we went back out.  They opened the Courtyard Pool first so the girls swam there and then we headed over to the Beach Pool, which has a water slide.

9.10l

9.10m

9.10n

When the fireworks went off a bit later, we were able to watch them (for the most part) from the pool.  It was a nice way to end the day.

9.10o


Up next:  Epcot

2 comments:

Jordan said...

I love your Disney recaps! Except for the fact that I want to go back even more than I already do! ;)

Cynthia said...

The dresses are great! And I bet the characters loved Anna being Anastasia. :)