Sunday, September 14, 2014

A big ole update

Well, that was an unexpected break from blogging.  There's no real reason for it other than the fact that I've been super busy.  I'm still trying to finish up the girls' Disney clothes before our upcoming vacation, which will be here before we know it, and I'm realizing how limited my "free time" really is.  School started for the girls a few weeks, activities began and I'm in the midst of my 9/15 and 10/15 tax deadlines.  There are some nights I just want to sit and do nothing but read for an hour (or two) but can't because there is just so much to do.  Sew, sew, sew.  Go, go, go.

So, the girls are officially second graders.  To answer the most frequently asked question - yes, they are in different classes.  So far, I'm very happy with how it is all working out this year.  They all have great teachers and as an added bonus, they are in the same recess.  There are 11 second grade classes this year with a maximum of four classes sharing a recess so being all together wasn't just a fluke.  (I'll have to thank the principal, who is also a parent of multiples, for that.)  Emily's BFF is with Anna this year but Emily can see her everyday at recess.

The girls have been bringing home the same math worksheets for homework.  There is homework every night.  The other afternoon, I received an email from Emily's teacher letting me know that Emily had forgotten her folder on her desk and that she did have math homework.  She suggested perhaps getting a copy from a classmate or doubling up the next night.  I couldn't think of any viable classmate options (well, maybe I really didn't want to bother anyone) so after thinking about it for a few minutes, I responded saying that she could just double up on homework the next night.  Then (duh!) I called Grammy to have her photocopy Allie's or Anna's homework before they finished it.  I can't believe I didn't just think of that in the first place.

Obligatory first day of school photos

septt14b

(Emily had to bring in homework for the first day of school, which is why is she showcasing that poster.)

septt14c

septt14d

septt14e

septt14f

A few weeks before school started, Rich asked if the girls were all set for clothes because they had grown.  I responded with, "Pish posh, they're all set.  It'll be summer for the first few weeks of school anyway."  Plus, I didn't think they had really grown that much.  But then we had Anna at her urology appointment and when they measured her, we learned that she'd grown more than an inch since April.  And then I was with the girls at their school's open house a week before school started and a few people at school commented on how much the girls had grown too.  We were in the nurse's office dropping off supplies and signing paperwork when I looked over at Anna and saw her as others see her, not as I see her everyday.  She had grown.  Her skin was glowing with a slight tan, her hair was pulled back in a neat, low pony and she suddenly appeared older.

septt14a

I have to say that thankfully we have not had the crazy that we had last year after school started.  If anything, there was crazy for about two weeks beforehand.  They must have been gearing up for the change.

Looks like I can kiss my hope for a few more weeks of summer good-bye.  We closed up the pool this weekend, which was a shame seeing that the girls had been making great strides in learning to swim.  Allie and Emily were both able to swim across the pool by themselves unassisted and Anna was swimming with one arm floaty.  Hopefully, we don't have to start all over again next June.

Even though I said I would never cut the girls' hair again, I did.  It was almost at Crystal Gayle status, which you can see in the above photos, and I didn't want to deal with making appointments with my stylist so I took care of it myself.  This time, instead of sitting on the floor, I had a better set up, took my time and now I'm giving myself a big pat on the back for a job well done.  I cut about 3 inches off of Emily's and now it is at her hips.  Allie has more hair so I chopped 4 inches off hers.  It now rests just below her elbows.  The girls' hair is fine, exactly like mine.  Allie happens to have a good amount of it - probably as much as I do if not more.  Anna doesn't have as much hair and she likes to do her own hair which means that a lot of it has broken off. I trimmed about an inch and a half off of it and she freaked out for a day saying that I had butchered it.  Unfortunately, as I was doing the cutting, there are no photos.  Soon.

I probably won't be updating much over the next month or so but I hope to post at least once a week.

Upcoming:

  • Cape Cod photos.  We managed one last beach trip (and sunburn for me) over Labor Day weekend.
  • Sewing projects - Disney customs
  • The girls' fall activities
  • Books and reading lists.  I've read a ton of books since my kindle post back in June.  (One of the benefits of train commuting.)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Your girls are beautiful! And they have the hair I dreamed of as a little girl! Also, 11 classes of 2nd grade? Around here each grade is 4-5 classes, 6 at most in elementary school. Must be a big place!

Sarah said...

Thanks, Julie. I know - isn't it crazy? It's a big school system. When I was in elementary school, there was one class for each grade. The building used to be the high school and then it was the elementary school. I think it's the town hall/police station now.