Sunday, January 12, 2014

I miss Mommy

Last week was one of my busiest work weeks of the year.  I wish I could say that it's the busiest, but I never know what the future holds.  It came as no surprise that the girls were upset with my absence from home.  They called me Tuesday night crying because I wasn't there to read and tuck them into bed.  I had them on speaker phone at work so all could share my pain and suffering.

To give you an idea of how furious (and sad) the girls were, here are the hours I was gone from home:

Monday - 7:15 to 7:00
Tuesday - 7:15 to 9:00
Wednesday - 7:15 to 9:00
Thursday - 7:15 to 9:30
Friday - 7:15 to 7:45
Saturday - 8:15 to 8:30

Yeah, not fun.

But that's big city tax life.

I was home for ten days in a row last month, which was a welcome break for everyone.  Even though I hadn't been working overtime and had taken some vacation days and was home the entire Thanksgiving week, the girls were becoming increasingly disgruntled over the fact that I had to work at all.  Allie and Anna had been pushing Grammy's buttons and even when I was home, there was a lot of tension in the air.  It took a few days but I began to notice a positive difference in the girls' mood and behavior.  At the end of those ten days, we were back in a good place.  I only worked Monday and Thursday of New Year's week and I thought that after having been home for such a decent stretch of time, my returning to work wouldn't be a big deal.  But it was.  

To add to our misery is this stupid cough that we all have.  Apparently, it's something going around.  Not quite a cold, not really congestion, just this mostly dry cough.  Oh, how I would love to spend a weekend in bed resting.  I've been trying to recover from one thing after another since the beginning of December.  At least it finally warmed up.  Walking to work in ten degrees is not fun.  It felt like my brain was freezing one morning.

I keep reminding the girls that it won't always be this way.  There's a method to my madness.  A plan.  I have to believe that it will all work out in the end.


(Message from Anna.)


Michelle said...

I work in a very different field, and I only have two kids, but I completely get this post. My theory is that any time my total hours worked for the week climbs above 55, it causes major upheaval at home. My husband is grouchy, my boys are more clingy, and I just generally feel more frazzled and like I could cry at any moment. The weeks when I'm working 70-80 hours (thankfully only a few times per year) are truly unbearable. Hang in there, and know that at least one reader feels your pain!

Whitney said...

Oh, my! I hate that you are having to work so much. I can't even imagine those kind of're making me thankful for the small-town CPA life! I hope you are going to get lots of vacation this summer! :)

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain and I feel Grammy's pain. My husband (until getting a new job last week!) left the house at 6:45 and was home at 7 at the EARLIEST every night. More nights than not it was 7:45 or not until the kids were long in bed (sometimes midnight).

Anonymous said...

That sweet message from Anna broke my heart - so I can only imagine how it made you feel. Hope you can catch up on some snuggles soon!


Wendy said...

Aw, Anna's note <3