Tuesday, January 7, 2014

December running. Or not.

After my 5 mile road race on Thanksgiving, I took four days off from running.  My plan was to ease back into it, seeing as I had somewhat pushed myself to complete those 5 miles at a semi-decent (for me) pace.  That Tuesday night after Thanksgiving, I ran 2 miles (reverse taper) after work even though I was really tired.  The next day, my throat hurt and I was still really tired.  The next day, it hurt even more and then I lost my voice.  I ended up sick with something and didn't have full use of my voice for two weeks.  Even though I felt like crud, I had to keep on keeping on, but I decided that running wasn't in my best interest.

I was just starting to feel better when I came down with a cold, so running was once again put on hold.  I hate to sound/act like a wimp because I can remember a time when a cold wouldn't interfere with running but now, there are other factors, like three six year olds.  I need to listen to my body and my body was telling me to take it slow.  My body has also been telling me to go to bed early but my night owl tendencies sometimes don't agree.

I don't have any specific goals for mileage or races in 2014.  I'll just do what I can do.  I would still love to run a half marathon but I don't think this is the year to attempt it.  Work is still too unpredictable with respect to hours and I can't get home at 9:00 PM and jump on the treadmill.  I know - excuses, excuses. I would love to push myself but age has given me the wisdom to know that there's a certain time for everything.

My total mileage for December was 6.5 miles.  Here's to 2014!  I've already run 4.5 miles and thought I was off to a good start.  We'll have to see what year end overtime does to me...



No comments: