Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Disney themed apron factory

I made the mistake of showing the girls pictures of custom made Disney clothing online. Princess dresses. Minnie dresses. You get the idea. And then I made the mistake of telling them that I would make them something so now they keep asking me when their Disney clothes will be ready.

Last week, Allie asked me if she could have a Tangled dress. I told her that I could maybe sew her one. Someday. She replied with, "Well, that might take too long. Probably the store will be faster." Rich loved that one.

It has been 15 years since I have sewn an item of clothing. Over the past five years, I have only sewn curtains so I thought it would be a good idea to start with a simple project. We went with aprons, seeing as the girls enjoy baking.

feb6a

I ran out of eyelet lace trim (by three inches!) so I had not finished Allie's when we took this picture. And as you can see from the box Allie is holding, the girls broke in the aprons by helping Daddy make brownies. Anna had chocolate all over hers. I know that they are aprons but I thought we could go a day or two before trashing them. (You better believe I threw those in the wash after we tucked the girls in tonight. Chocolate is gone.)

feb6b

Please note that Em as "being tall" in those pictures. She's really not taller than Allie and Anna.

The girls loved their aprons and wore them for most of the day, which made Mommy smile.

feb6c

feb6d

Lucky for me, Grammy had brought over some trim last week so I was able to finish Allie's apron.

feb6e

That's Em dancing with Minnie in the background.

I wanted to include this photo for two reasons. First, Allie has that "I just caught the paparazzi taking my photo" expression on her face. Second, do you see the pile of stuff near the wall? The girls had all of their babies sleeping in the family room. Rich suggested that the girls listen to some music and they decided that they wanted to dance. Apparently, clean up means throw everything in a pile in the corner.

feb6f

One last one. Ring-around-the-rosey with Minnie.

feb6g

I'm done sewing aprons for awhile.


Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

11 comments:

Stacy said...

I don't know how to sew, but I asked my mom to teach me and when started with aprons. I just posted about it last week. I admit that she did most of the work, but I feel more confident now and I plan to try something like a nightgown next.

I love your aprons! They are so cute. Meghan wanted a tangled material apron, but the pattern was so big that I didn't think it worked. Yeah, she's still talking about that! I loved the comment about the Tangeled dress!

JoAnna said...

so sweet! we have denim "art smocks" with pockets that double as aprons. i wish i'd taken the time to make them but ordered them from etsy instead. you did a terrific job, i like the trim!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I love, love, LOVE the aprons :) So pretty! Almost too pretty to actually use :)

Quick question - in that last picture there's a gorgeous dresser with 9 drawers in the background. I love it - I've always dreamed of buying something like that but what do you put in there? and do you forget about what is in a particular drawer?

Tracy said...

WOW!! I am sooo impressed!!! Any similarities which we might have totally end at the sewing machine. I so wish I could sew, but that skill eludes me. Girls are SOOO Adorable in these and great pics.

JEN said...

Great aprons! I am so terrible at anything crafty, but I so want to be good at it.

Anonymous said...

Those aprons are so cute! Love them and photos!

Kathleen

L. said...

The aprons turned out so cute! Great job!

Katie said...

The aprons are awesome!

Your girls are looking less and less like babies these days. They are gorgeous girls.

Katie

Dale said...

I also sew for three girls, my granddaughters - a 4 yr old and 3 yr old twins. Here is my take on sewing everything 3 times - you learn on the first one - perfect your technique on the second one and FORCE yourself to make the third one ! My DIL is expecting again - thank goodness this one is a boy. I don't think I could force myself to make 4 of everything !!

Lissett said...

You have inspired me to take a sewing class! Not to mention your photography and blog encouraged me to create my own blog: http://cavistoncuties.blogspot.com/
I love getting crafty and making some cute creations for my girls sounds like alot of fun! You are very talented and have a beautiful family. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sarah said...

Marcia - that's a CD cabinet. I think we bought it at Ethan Allen. I can't remember though - it was a looooog time ago.

Thank you all for your comments!!!!

Dale - so true!