Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Wheels on the Van

We brought the girls to the beach today. It was absolutely one of those perfect beach days on the Cape. AND the water was actually warm. If you are from New England, you know how the water is never warm.

We hit horrible traffic on our way there. I think we were stop and go for at least eight miles before the bridge. It ended up taking us twice as long to get to our destination. During this time, the girls consumed an entire sleeve of Ritz crackers.

We also ran into some traffic on the way home because everyone HAD to stop to look at the broken down truck on the side of the road. The girls were extra fussy because it was REALLY late and insisted that I sing their favorite song, The Wheels on the Bus. To be honest, I don't really know any of the words outside of The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round all through town. I supposed I should just Google it.

I have been making up my own lyrics just to keep the girls entertained. You have to realize that I sang that song for about 20 minutes in the car and then again for about 10 minutes when we arrived home so that Allie would eat something. A made up verse of mine is The driver on the bus says sit your bum down. Well, I was trying to call Grammy to ask her about the traffic (they were ahead of us) and singing at the same time. I changed that verse to sit down instead of sit your bum down. I guess I'm second guessing myself as to whether that is appropriate for two year olds. The girls freaked out. Em said, "Momma, stop it. Sing it right."

I'll try to post a beach recap with photos tomorrow. Hopefully.

I also want to note that we are on night number four of the girls falling to sleep without any crying. Thank you, Sleep Fairy.

5 comments:

Helen said...

Ahhh the Cape. You already know I feel about their beaches ;)

I think you need to reward that sleep fairy for all the help she's been!

Oh and one of the verses of The Wheels On the Bus is "The driver on the bus says please sit down", so you were close! LOL!

Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kUmwI54Zu8&NR=1

Way more fun to make up your own.... Thats the type of thing the girls will remember and sing to THEIR own children .. many many many many many years from now!!

Glad you had a good beach day!!

Crista said...

Here, I'll save you some time, lol.

Driver--move on back (or what you already say)
Wipers--Swish
Horn--Beep
Money--Clink
Baby--Wah
Mommy--Shush
Doors--open and shut

Now aren't you glad you asked? :)

JEN said...

Great news about the sleep. Don't want to say more and jinx it! I always make up song lyrics and it is so much more fun that way.

Wendy said...

God bless the friggen Sleep Fairy!! I have been in the ocean once while we were in NH and holy hell. The water was like 60 degrees in July. Freeeeeezing! Lake Erie gets up to 80 some summers :) We have great beaches too, ya know if you ever want to go on a reeeeeeeally long car ride :P