Monday, August 19, 2019

The Stephen King Wristlet

Rich and I had tickets to see the Goo Goo Dolls and Train at the Xfinity Center in Mansfield, MA and the last time we were there for a show, there were no bag restrictions.  In fact, I don't remember anyone even looking in my bag or much security at the gates.  Last month, through a moms' group on FB, I became aware that the venue now has bag restrictions.  (And much stricter security, which I'm all for, by the way.)  You can bring in those clear vinyl bags or small wristlets.  The wristlet I brought to the show in Boston back in the fall was actually too big for the size restrictions at the Xfinity Center so I decided to whip up a new one.  It needed to be no bigger than 8x5x2 inches.

Anna and I both had a great relationship with the nurses at her elementary school.  (Trust me, this is somewhat related.)  With last year being the first year of middle school, Anna had to spend the year getting to know new nurses.  In addition, because we all want her to become more independent, I didn't communicate with the nurses as much as I had at the elementary school.

So during the school year, here's what the nurses learned about me from Anna:
  1.   I get up at 9:00 in the morning. (Yes, but only on weekends! Or in the summer.)
  2.   I drink a lot of diet soda. (True.)
  3.   I like to read Stephen King books.  (True.)
Man, I was like, "Anna, did you tell them how I always get you to school and dance on time, and how I cook dinner five times a week and you always have clean clothes to wear and how I help you with your homework when you need help?"      

I don't remember the first Stephen King book I read but I plowed through whatever I could find at the library when I was in high school and I've been reading his books ever since.  When I saw this fabric made to look like his book covers, I had to have it.  And I thought it was perfect for my little wristlet.

DSC_6460edit

I had to fussy cut the fabric to make the most of the book covers.  As I've mentioned before, I'm a slow cutter.  I'd rather take the time upfront to get my pieces perfect.  Sewing is so much easier when the pieces all fit together.

Here's the other side of the wristlet:

DSC_6463edit

I was so, so happy with how this turned out!  I even put a little pocket on the inside which was the perfect size for my license, credit card and some cash.

Pattern:  I have a notebook where I write out my patterns or make notes on pattern adjustments.  I didn't need to use a "pattern" for this wristlet as it is essentially a zippered pouch.  Once you know how to sew a zippered pouch, you can make all sorts of things without having to buy patterns.

DSC_6462edit

Hardware (the clasp on the handle):  When I cleaned out my closet a couple of months ago, I had some bags that needed to be tossed.  They were either faux leather/plastic from 25 years ago and peeling or smaller crossbodies that had pockets for cell phones from 1999.  I cut off all the usable hardware before I said goodbye and that's what I ended up using on the wristlet.  Those bags may have been junk but at least some part was able to be salvaged. 

6 comments:

JEN said...

Ok I have to know what your favorite Stephen King book is? Mine is "the Stand" followed by "Misery".

Anonymous said...

Is it fully lined? Did you quilt it?

Sarah said...

Jen - I think my favorite is 11/22/63. I'm also a big fan of The Stand, but I read it (and so many others) a really long time ago. I keep saying I'm going to reread them but I have so many books I want to read.

Anon - Yes, it is fully lined. I used the same black fabric that I used for the strap. It's almost like a canvas. I didn't attempt to photograph the inside because it's all black. I didn't quilt it because that is a canvas fabric and it's already kind of busy. I did use a fleece interfacing on the SK fabric (and a non-fleece interfacing on the lining) so the wristlet would keep its shape.

Anonymous said...

When you sew the wristlet inside out, how do you manage to turn it back right-side-out and sew the hole closed without it looking odd? When I pull things through, like blankets, then I'm never quite sure how to hide that spot.

Sarah said...

For blankets or smaller items, like coin purses, I use a blind ladder stitch (by hand.) For longer openings, I stitch it closed on my machine as close to possible to the edge as possible. I always iron it closed first - whether using the machine or stitching by hand to give it a cleaner finish.

Anonymous said...

I wrote with the question about sewing - thanks for the reply!