Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Disney Customs for our 2018 Trip!

Currently, the girls take the What happens in Disney, is only for Disney attitude when it comes to custom clothes.  Sort of like What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas but for clothing.  This means that most of the outfits they wear at Disney will not be worn to school, etc.  And that's completely understandable.

A lot of people have asked if this was my last time sewing custom Disney clothes for the girls and I've been responding with, "Yes and no."  If we were to return to Disney in two (or three or four) years, the girls won't be requesting princess dresses and twirl skirts.  I belong to many sewing groups online, most specific to Disney, and there are plenty of adults who wear custom dresses, shirts and other clothing items.  Custom made clothes don't have to be just for kids.  The style of clothing will obviously change with their age.  Let's not forget about accessories, such as bags and ears.

I wanted to test out making ears for this trip but I ran out of time.  Within online Disney sewing circles and groups, I see a billion custom ears.  However, at the parks, I believe I saw one pair that was custom made.  (Yes, we are back!) Grammy saw another pair.  I was somewhat surprised considering how popular they are online.  

Shown below is almost everything I made for this vacation.  I didn't photograph Anna's Toy Story Land dress but I do have photos of her wearing it.  Grammy helped out tremendously, but I didn't have time to photograph the items she made as well.  You'll see them in my upcoming trip report though.

For our previous trip, Grammy made the girls park bags.  Because they were going to be carrying around water bottles this time, I offered to make drawstring bags.  Two of the girls took me up on my offer.  These are fairly quick and easy to pull together.

8.29a

The bags are fully lined for extra support.

8.29b

Skirts!

8.29c
Haunted Mansion wallpaper.  That bow is a hair bow and was my favorite of all the bows I made.

8.29d
Happy snacks.

8.29e
Steamboat Willie.

8.29f
Mickey heads.

8.29g
A couple of "simple" skirts.

8.29h
Belle set.

I've already shared Emily's Toy Story Land skirt but here it is again to keep everything in one spot.

DSC_1213edit

Toy Story halter dress with cow print hair bow.

8.29i

And then there were the princess dresses. . .

8.29j
Cinderella's pink dress.

8.29k
Cinderella.

The princess dresses were last minute and I only used that slippery blue fabric because I had it in stock.  I say this each and every time I use that fabric, but if I never sew with it again, it will be too soon.

Here are some hair bows.  An unnamed child wanted me to add the Fairy Godmother to that pink bow and then deemed it too childish to wear.

8.29l

There's a Mickey head in the middle of that flamingo bow.  I had plans for this big tropical Mickey/Minnie set of hair bows and skirts.  Allie told me she just wasn't feeling it.  Ha ha.  I ran out of time so that bow was the only product I was able to complete.

More Disney posts coming soon . . .

7 comments:

Bree at Clarity Defined said...

Love these and can't wait for more Disney posts!

Welcome back!

Coco said...

These are amazing - love the Toy Story halter dress. Your girls are so lucky!

Susanne said...

These are awesome! Custom bows are super popular at Disneyland. You see lots of them in the parks. I did not see them as much at Disney World.

Unknown said...

You found some super cute fabrics to use - I LOVE the Haunted Mansion wallpaper!

I will say - we travel to Disney World every year and have been out to Disneyland twice, including earlier this summer - the custom ears are HUGE in California, as compared to Florida.

Hope you had fun!

Sarah said...

Thank you!

I wonder why custom ears and bows are more popular in CA. Interesting!

Beth said...

love the sewing! Do you have a bow tutorial by any chance?

Sarah said...

Hi Beth - I do not have a tutorial. Maybe one day when I find the perfect method. I've been playing around with different ways of making them.