Sunday, October 8, 2017

To run faster, you need to run fast

I've talked before about how pace seems to be a thing now.  How some look down on "slow" runners.  I tell myself that I've gotten over it but maybe I haven't.  Rich and I both bought new running sneakers a few weeks ago.  The store didn't have my size in stock so I had to return a few days later to pick them up.  There were different people working that night and the one helping me told me about their running club that meets once a week.  My first thought was oh, she thinks I'm a real runner.  Wrong, yes, I know.  Maybe I'm not over the whole slow runner thing.  But really, running is very much a solo activity for me.  I have zero interest in running with strangers.  The life of an introvert.   

I go back and forth on whether or not I care about how fast I run.  Here's the thing - always running at the same pace is easy.  And it becomes easier with time.  Speed work is challenging and can be downright hard.  I like to run at the same pace all the time.  It's difficult for me to transition to a slower pace or to run faster.  Maybe this is why I've avoided speed work.  Or maybe it's just because it's hard.

You can gradually increase your pace slowly without grueling speed work.  If you're always running the same pace and you consistently run, running at that pace will become easier over time and you'll eventually speed up.  This is mostly how I've increased my pace (by a tiny bit) in the past.

I'm in a place now where I want to run faster.  For myself.  A few weeks ago, I ran my fast mile test.  I know I've told you guys about this before.  I see how fast I can run a mile without stopping or keeling over at the end of the mile.  My time was 8:30.  Not bad, but now to run that same pace for another 2.1 miles.

After my fast mile test, I decided to add some new-to-me speed work into my running.  I'm very much a "pacer" in that I run the same pace throughout my run without much speeding up or slowing down.  I very rarely stop and walk because I feel like it throws off my pace.  For speed work, I've been running at about an 8 minute mile pace and then walking to recover.  I did need to tell myself to get over the walking part and really, it hasn't interfered.  I'm sort of stuck running the same routes so it's been nice to change up my running with something different.  

I keep reminding myself that with each passing week, it will get easier.



* If you're new to running, I highly recommend going to a running or sports store and getting fit for running shoes.

2 comments:

JEN said...

I started running 2 years ago. I am slow. My mile pace is about 11:00. I'm impressed by 8:30.

Christi said...

That's great Sarah!! 8:30 would be my speed when chased by a big hungry bear! and definitely not for a whole mile. You definitely aren't a back of the pack runner with an under 10 minute pace.

I did join a running group through a running/shoe store and the people were super nice and there really were all speeds of runners and walkers. So I never felt like I didn't belong. Then I got hurt and stopped running.

Have you thought about a heart rate training plan like from the Train Like a Mother Club? From what I've heard, you will build up speed without speedwork. https://trainlikeamother.club/product/heart-rate-101/ If you listen to podcasts, theirs is fantastic, says the non-mother, former runner. LOL