Tuesday, April 4, 2017

The sea was angry that day, my friends.

There's quite a bit of work that needs to be completed before we can comfortably spend the night in our cottage on the Cape.  We didn't have much in the way of things to do at home last weekend so we decided to make a trip to the cottage on Saturday afternoon.  Rich had commented that we haven't accomplished anything during our previous visits and I agree, this is true.  The water is still turned off (to prevent frozen pipes) and without running water, it's difficult for me to clean.  In addition, it's been cold, very cold.  In fact, March was colder than the previous three months - February, January and December.  This broke some sort of weather record and confirmed that my misery related to the weather was warranted.  We have a wall unit for heat in the kitchen/living room but it really just gets the chill out and I don't know about you, but when I'm bundled up in three layers and wearing gloves, it's hard for me to do housework.

Despite the fact that we knew we wouldn't be doing much at the cottage, our reasons for visiting were twofold.  I think there's a bit of "wow, we really own this place" going on and we want to check on it.  Also, we're still trying to figure out what we need to do and what can wait.  It's easier to think about this when you are actually in the space.  For example, do we need a new fridge?  We are still completely undecided on what to do with the kitchen.  Currently, it's not very functional.  I can't imagine trying to prepare a meal there with that tiny bit of counter space.  The fridge doesn't look very old but who knows.  It's unplugged and moved away from the wall, which makes the kitchen feel even more cramped to me with my touch of claustrophobia.  Ideally, I'd prefer to keep the current fridge and use it until we decide what to do with the kitchen.  We didn't think of this until after we'd left but we need to plug in the fridge and leave a few cans of soda in there, along with ice in the freezer to ensure that it works as it should.

Unfortunately, the weather was completely uncooperative.  We had two full days (Friday and Saturday) of mixed precipitation - rain, sleet, snow.  I was really looking forward to checking out some new beaches but the wind was too strong.  We had some time to kill before dinner so we drove to the beaches on the bay side of Dennis.  In order to protect my camera from the rain, I had it in a large ziploc bag with only the very end of the lens sticking out.  The wind was too crazy though and sand was whipping around everywhere.  At one beach, I opened the van door and the wind ripped it right out of my hand.  I stepped out, walked a few feet and then returned to the safety of the van.  The wind was howling and I had sand particles stuck to my face.  I didn't have a filter on my lens and I didn't want to risk scratches from the blowing sand.  Honestly, I don't know if I would have risked scratching an expensive filter either.  

4.4a

4.4b

4.4c

4.4d

4

4.4f

4.4g

4.4h

6 comments:

Bree at Clarity Defined said...

There's a magic in these quiet scenes and mounds of sand (even if the experience of it was not so calm).

Christi said...

I love all the curving lines in your photos!

Tracey's Life said...

Your pictures make me want to visit there! Will you be renting out the home at all in the future or will it be a summer place for you to visit when you can? Keep us all posted.

Colleen said...

I was reading your post as I watched this episode of Seinfeld. Too perfect =)

Sarah said...

We definitely won't be renting this summer. Next year, we may try renting to family/friends and see how that works out.

kdliberty said...

I am not surprised the kitchen is dysfunctional. (Common around here in that age of homes.) It may need to get inventive to fix it. My friend whose kitchen has to many doorways is flipping her kitchen and dining room. I