Monday, April 24, 2017

The past week or so

We returned home from DC last night around 5:30.  Due to the lack of bread and milk, I decided to torture myself with a trip to the grocery store shortly after we arrived home.  The store wasn't crowded at all, which was nice, but many of the shelves were bare.  It is too much to ask for fresh broccoli?  I'll be sharing details and thoughts on our DC vacation later this week.

The days leading up to our vacation were a bit draining.  Monday morning, Anna had a routine kidney/bladder ultrasound and a follow-up appointment with her urologist.  The first appointment was scheduled for 8:15 and normally I would have to leave the house at 6:30 or so due to traffic.  However, this was Marathon Monday and the first day of school vacation week so I took a bit of a chance (along with checking the commute time on my phone) and decided to leave closer to 7:00.  The route I take into the city isn't impacted by the marathon and from what I've seen over my years working in Boston, many people either work from home or take the day off.  We lucked out with absolutely no traffic.  Both appointments went well, which was a huge relief.

I had trouble sleeping the night before which I think was all anxiety induced.  I tried to explain it to Rich and he said that it didn't make sense.  "That's how anxiety works.  It doesn't make sense to you.  I shouldn't be anxious, but I am.  That's why it's anxiety."

The girls had their 10 year well visits first thing Tuesday morning.  Let's talk about their identicalness for a second.  They all weigh between 54 and 55 pounds and stand 49 to 50 inches tall.  They're growing into beautiful little pre-teens right before my very eyes.

I recently received the paperwork for the renewal of my CPA license.  In Massachusetts, you are required to renew your license every other year.  In order to qualify for a license renewal, you must have completed 80 hours of continuing professional education (CPE) within that two year time period.  I did plan ahead and took care of that before I stopped working, so I am able to renew my license.  Unfortunately, Massachusetts does not have retired or inactive status options.  I have about a year to decide what I'm going to do.  I do know of CPAs who have let their license lapse and they've been told that they need to make up the CPE for however many years it was lapsed and then they will be reinstated.  I have checked the rules and the possibility of "re-examination" is mentioned.  Taking the CPA exam right out of school was not a big deal for me.  Taking it again NOW would be.  I worked so hard for that license, I don't think I can just let it go.

I baked cupcakes for the girls' friend birthday party.  With their actual birthday a few days later, I didn't want to bake a cake so I suggested these frosted sugar cookie bars from Sally's Baking Addiction.  These were so freaking delicious that I made her blondies with mini chocolate chips to bring to Grammy's house for Easter.  (Note that I used leftover store bought frosting, not homemade.)  (Side note if you decide to bake either of these.  I took the sugar cookie bars out at 26 minutes and they were slightly overcooked.  I watched the blondies and took them out right at 24 minutes.  Any more time would have been too much.  Just keep a close eye on them.)

DSC_2933edit

Yes, I have a sweet tooth but it's all about moderation!

No comments: