Tuesday, February 7, 2017

5 Reasons To Visit Cape Cod This Summer

As I sit here on this dark and dreary February day dreaming of summer, I thought I would brainwash you into vacationing on Cape Cod this summer.  You know it's one of our favorite places and I know we're not alone in that sentiment.  Hotels, motels, inns and rental homes often book up a year in advance.

So why should you plan a Cape Cod vacation this summer?  Here are the top five reasons we're eagerly awaiting summer's return:

1. The Beaches

2.7a

With more than 500 miles of coastline, you won't be able to visit all of the beaches the Cape has to offer.  What I find unique about Cape Cod is that each beach is different.  You can find beaches with shallow water and an easy surf (perfect for families with little ones) or those with heavy, crashing waves.  And I would be remiss if I failed to mention the beautiful beaches of the Cape Cod National Seashore.  The warm water beaches along Nantucket Sound are ideal for swimming and yes, the water really is warm.  We often like to explore different beaches for shells, smooth rocks, sea glass and wildlife sightings.  We have yet to see a shark but we've spotted several seals.

2.7g

2.  Fresh Seafood

Need I say more.

2.7f

2.7h

But seriously, we are spoiled by the fresh seafood.  Lobster rolls and clam chowder are our favorites.

3.  Atmosphere

The salt water breezes and rolling surf create a calm, relaxing environment.  The Cape is very family friendly with parks, playgrounds, restaurants, etc. geared towards those with children, but there are also restaurants and areas that cater to those without little ones.  The biggest decisions you'll have to make are which beach to visit and which flavor of ice cream to order.  Take a sunset stroll along one of the beaches and you will not be disappointed.

2.7b

2.7d

4.  Biking/Hiking/Exploring

Several top-notch scenic bike paths run all throughout Cape Cod.  There are the paths that run along both sides of the Canal, the Shining Sea Bikeway in Falmouth and the 22 mile rail trail - just to name a few.  Don't worry if you're not a fan of biking - there are plenty of folks who simply walk.  I would love to bike the entire rail trail - yeah, that would be 44 miles round trip - but I don't think the girls are quite ready for that yet.  Maybe I'll head out on my own one day.

2.7c

5.  The Islands

Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are both a short ferry ride away which makes for a perfect day trip.  Both islands are quaint and quintessential coastal New England.  It's been years since I've visited the islands and we had planned to do so last year but ran out of time.  A day trip has been added to our summer to-do list this year.

2.7e

1 comment:

Amber said...

I'm sold! It looks so beautiful. :)