Sunday, April 17, 2016

Vacation Wish List

Rich and I are so desperate for a sit-on-a-tropical-beach type of vacation and although it's school vacation week for us right now, we weren't able to plan a last minute getaway due to work commitments.  Boo.  This week is also doctor appointment week in addition to school vacation week.  I think the girls would quite enjoy a beach vacation too.  The weather today (sunny and close to 70) helped but we're still not close enough to warmth all the time.

I always seem to have a running list of places in my mind that I'd like to visit in the near future.  I don't think about it all the time but when the mood strikes (I need a vacation!) that list jumps to the forefront of my mind.  I'm also itching for something different right now.

Tropical:
  • Hawaii
  • Grand Cayman
  • Florida Keys
  • Aruba or Grace Bay Beach in Turks & Caicos (again)

Explore:
  • Charleston, SC
  • Nashville, TN
  • Washington, DC

Local (for day or weekend trips):
  • Any and all Cape beaches
  • Nantucket and/or Martha's Vineyard
  • Newport, RI
  • Burlington, VT area
  • Portland, ME
  • Western MA (autumn) 

It's obviously easier to travel with the girls now that they are older.  They are curious by nature and we'd love to be able to show them more of the US.  We have plans for an afternoon trip into Boston later this week to walk part of the Freedom Trail and eat dinner in the North End but rain is currently in the forecast so we may need to postpone.  I'm drooling thinking of pizza and dessert in the North End.  So delicious!  

4 comments:

Farah said...

Grand Cayman is dreamy. We stopped there on a cruise 2 years ago, and we didn't want to leave! We went scuba diving for the day, and explored Georgetown for a bit. I want to go back and stay longer! Key Largo is nice too, but I remember there wasn't really a beach to sit on. There are beautiful views of the ocean (stayed at the ocean reef club) and a beautiful pool, but no sandy beach. Key West is kind of touristy with drunks EVERYWHERE, but I'm sure there are nice areas to visit.

Englishrose said...

Check out National Park sites around your area. Lowell, when the looms are running is fascinating, noisy and they have a great visitor centre, the Saugus iron works and so many more. We used a lot of these as recinforcement for homeschooling when we traveled around the US. We spent a couple of days doing Boston and the freedom trail, old Ironsides, many more.

Valerie Cox said...

I've been to Nashville many times, and I think your family would love it. So much to do, and if you visit, Pancake Pantry is a must!

Sarah said...

Farah - I've been to Key West twice now, the last time was about 14 years ago. You're not the first person to recently mention the drinking. There have always been drunks but it sounds like it is worse now. I'd like to stay somewhere in the middle (Marathon) with a few days in Key West.

Englishrose- thanks for the tip!

Valerie - good to know! Thanks.