Tuesday, July 28, 2015

On being an identical triplet

As the school year was wrapping up and planning began for the third grade, I asked the girls if they wanted to be in the same classroom.  Massachusetts is a state allowing for the parents to decide how to place multiples.  For the past five years, which includes two years of preschool, they have been in separate classrooms.  If you had asked me when they were babies and toddlers what we planned to do in the future, I would have told you that I was going to keep them together.  They are fairly shy kids and while being a triplet has its downsides, I viewed being able to have the comfort of not only one, but two of your sisters in class with you as a benefit.  Sorry you've always had to share Mom and Dad but look, sisters will be in class with you! 

It was easier for the preschool to place them in separate classrooms and when kindergarten finally rolled around, it was recommended that we keep them separate because they are, sometimes painfully, shy.  Now at eight, I feel like they are old enough to have a well informed opinion.  They unanimously voted for separate.  Their reasons?
  1. Kids are always going to think I'm (insert identical triplet's name here.)
  2. I want my own friends.
  3. I don't want to do everything with sissies.
I did request (of the school) that they have the same lunch/recess and the girls are okay with that.  In my mind, recess would be the worst time to be alone.  After all the issues with this one girl in Allie's class last year, it's nice to know they have each other at recess.

It's funny how they desire to be separated at school but at home, I hear a lot of "I don't want to play in the yard unless someone comes with me" and "Will someone play Barbies/doll house/school with me?" or "WAH! No one wants to play with me."

Around the time we were discussing the upcoming school year, Rich and Emily were at church one Saturday afternoon.  A little boy approached Emily and said, "Hi, Anna."  He was in Anna's class and I'm not sure if he's up to date on the triplet situation but he thought Emily was Anna.  And then there was the new kid in Emily's class who, one day at recess, exclaimed, "Emily, why am I seeing three of you?!"

7.28a

7.28b

No comments: