Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A sweet little mat for a gingerbread boy (or girl)

I don't know why (well, maybe because my girls have more than enough skirts) but I've been on a sewing for the home but still for the kids kick.  A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon this cute little snack mat.  The girls saw it and begged me to make some.  Sure.  No problemo.  So over the weekend, I whipped one up.

dec10a

It was Allie's idea to go with hot cocoa instead of milk and then I decided to go with the gingerbread dude outline.  Funny story - I am terrible at drawing.  I was attempting to draw the outline of the gingerbread man on paper to use as a pattern for the mat.  I muttered something regarding my lack of drawing skills and one of the girls said, "Yeah, that doesn't look so good."  Apparently, my cutting skills are much more advanced.

I just love the little tag too.

dec10b

In all seriousness, this project took forever, mainly because of all the hand embroidery.  It'd been at least 15 years since I'd hand embroidered anything so maybe my slowness was due to the fact that I don't do it on a regular basis.  I don't know.  What I do know is that I still have two more to whip up.  Hopefully, before spring.

*Sewing note - I used a thicker batting in the middle.

3 comments:

MCox said...

Very nice. Did you think about machine sewing the embroidery with a long stitch?

I've been on a home decor kick lately too. Strange. Just finished a duvet cover. Now must make 10 Santa hats for my son's school in less than 10 days. Eeeeek! They discovered I sew...

Bree at Clarity Defined said...

So cute!

Sarah said...

Thanks!

I did think about doing some embroidery with the machine but I wanted to use the thick embroidery thread so it would really stand out. I was thinking about trying that for another project though. 10 Santa hats - eeeek is right!!! Good luck!