Sunday, November 3, 2013

This business of blogging and the past 4 days

I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to blog these days.  As the girls grow, my free time shrinks and when I do have time, like now, hanging out on the couch an hour or so before I need to head to bed, it's hard not to think of all the other things I should be doing.  So my apologies for my 4 day absence.  I came down with a cold and I just needed a break. I've read more than once that successful bloggers post on a specific schedule, as setting a schedule allows your readers to know when to expect your posts.  I don't think I'll ever be able to do this, which is probably one of my downfalls.  When I first began blogging, I decided that I was going to do what I wanted to do.  I am forced to follow so many rules on a daily basis that I shouldn't have to follow any for my blog, especially one that isn't a business.        I always feel like I lose some readers when I don't post every day, which is unfortunate but hey, there's only so much I can physically do here.

Last night, Rich asked, "Is there anything that isn't on YouTube?"  Whatever you want to know, you can find it on the internet.  We are still working on a bowel management program for Anna.  Her GI doctor gave us a few options and we've been experimenting.  While he's been helpful, he unfortunately doesn't have much direct experience with spina bifida so Rich and I have had to do a lot of research on our own.  I've met some wonderful people out there in the spina bifida community who have given me advice or shared what works for their kids.  I even found a video (and I'm sure there's more than one) showing how to set up and work a cone enema.  I'm so grateful and thankful to those who have shared, which I think, in a way, is why I'm here.

The past four days have been a whirlwind of activity.  It all began Thursday morning with volunteering at the school for a pumpkin science experiment/carving activity.  I had Emily and her BFF in my group.  Those two are so quiet and well behaved.  After that, Grammy and I drove to Natick to the mall, specifically the American Girl doll store, and kicked off Christmas shopping.  I don't want to rush around like a crazy person again this year with the masses.  I've spent the past six Christmas Eves wrapping presents and my goal this year is to have everything wrapped and ready to go well ahead of time.

School doesn't stop for Halloween and as usual, the girls had their weekly spelling quiz/test scheduled for Friday.   My sister-in-law and nieces were coming over to our house for trick or treating again this year so as soon as I arrived home with the girls after school, I insisted that we finish any and all homework.  Even though they have the same spelling words, they have different worksheets.  Allie actually doesn't have any that need to be returned to school so in order to make her quiz fun, she wrote the words on the chalkboard in the playroom.  And then Anna wanted to do the same, which was fine except that she had to do it again on the worksheet that needed to be turned in.  They all scored 100% the next day even though Anna kept spelling "many" meny on purpose for me.

I'm glad I took pictures of the girls in their costumes before Halloween because it was just too hectic that night for photos.


Little Lion and his scary, skeleton mask.


Life was as normal (somewhat) Friday, Saturday and today.  I finally ironed that big basket of clothes that'd been sitting in our bedroom for the past month and caught up on some laundry.  Real exciting stuff.  On Saturday, the kitchen sink clogged up (again) and we had to call one of those quick service companies that charges an arm and leg.  I would personally like to thank the builder for using the smallest size pipes allowed and for all the other cheap shortcuts.  The girls and I camped out upstairs while that was going down.  To keep them entertained, we found some math games on the internet, which was the biggest treat ever.  (I need to write an updated kids and technology post because I'm seeing a change now with the kids in first grade.)

The girls like to fill the weekends with "free play" as time for that is limited during the week.  They ended up playing "spa" this afternoon, which is hysterical to me because aside from that one episode of Austin & Ally, I don't know how they know what a spa is.  Allie was working the spa and Anna, the pregnant lady, kept calling her "servant."  Anna had shoved a doll up her shirt and told Allie and Emily that her baby was being born the next day.  Emily wanted to know what she was doing at the spa if she was so close to having a baby.  Anna replied, "My doctor says I need to be calm.  It's good for the baby.  If I'm calm, the baby will be calm."

I have two kids with dioramas of animal life due this coming week.  I'm waiting for #3 to come home in her folder tomorrow from school.  Yippee!  We love painting!



Anonymous said...

I only started reading your blog recently. I am amazed at all you accomplish for your girls. They are seriously the most adorable girls ever. I usually don't comment on blogs, I just secretly lurk and check in from time to time but I had to commend you on being such great parents.

And please don't ever change that picture at the top of your blog - the girls in the bath. Her smile is the best thing ever, I just see it and it lifts my mood.

Michelle said...

I think these days, most of us use some sort of reader to compile all the blogs we follow. I honestly don't notice when you skip a day or two. I just notice when I new post shows up in my feed.

Sarah said...

Thanks, Anon. I love that picture too and haven't changed it because I like seeing it there.

Michelle - you know what's interesting - if I look at my stats for this past week, I have 2ce as many hits from than bloglovin and cloud.feely combined.