Tuesday, May 8, 2012

On running

So I'm going to admit that trying to start up a running routine again has been a bit of a struggle.  I was doing okay until that cold invaded my system last month and even after a three week break, I had a bit of a coughing fit after my first post-sick run.  There's always an excuse - I'm too tired, I have other stuff to do, it's too chilly outside and I don't want to run on the treadmill.

The truth is that my body isn't used to running and it's going to take time and effort to build back up to running how I used to run and I may never be able to run like that again and I need to be okay with that.  I want to tone up and see if I can improve my damaged mid-section without surgery.  I usually fit in crunches after running and it would be nice to not look like I'm hiding a first trimester pregnancy or a beer gut.

I enjoy running.  I really do.  I know what that runner's high feels like and it's a good feeling.  So is the feeling of accomplishment.  I always tell new runners that running any distance at any time is great.  It's better than doing nothing.  Right?  It's ironic how I can't even follow my own advice sometimes.  I'm never going to be a fast runner but I used to be good at pacing myself and maintaining that pace for many, many miles.  Maybe I can get some of that back.

It was warmer than I expected it to be on Saturday so I went out for a run and even though I haven't been running, I completed my 2 mile run up to Main Street and back.  I did the same run last night.  I keep telling myself that it's okay to run slow and if I run a 12:00 minute mile, it is what it is.  But I've been keeping a 10:30 pace without meaning to.

So in addition to my advice of being proud no matter how fast or how far you run, I want to mention not using an ipod (or whatever you young kids use for music these days) when running outside.  I came this |||| close to being hit by a car last year.  I never run with an ipod because my ears are too big and I can't stand fidgeting with earbuds.  I heard the car before I saw it and before the driver saw me.  She was going to blow through a stop sign and you should have seen the look of terror in her eyes when I stopped short almost in front of her car.  (This was on a main street and there was a building on the street corner blocking her view of me and my view of her.)

 
#superfiercecompetition

14 comments:

Sarah g said...

Ran the Disney princess half last feb and haven't really run since. :). I have a 5k this weekend I'm going to attempt and hopefully survive. I too have quit using my ipod. Crazy people are everywhere these days. You really cannot be too careful. Seriously love your blog!

Tara said...

I love running too. And after 2 kids I find it's been difficult for me to get back into the same shape I was before. I shouldn't complain...am back to the same weight but I'd be lying if I didn't say it's depressing to see that saggy midsection when I look in the mirror. I figure those kiddos are more than worth it:) Your blog is great.

Marcia (123 blog) said...

I'm so glad you're OKAY!!!

And my ears don't keep the ipod in either!

Unknown said...

I'm trying to start running again too and it is hard to get back into the habit. But every time I do it I feel so good, so proud of myself that it is worth it. And I just remember that feeling when I'm trying to make excuses instead of lacing up my sauconies.

erica said...

Your excuses for not running are exactly the same as mine, except I cannot say that I love running. I would love the body that running would give me though!

Rebecca said...

I am so paranoid about doing any exercising while listening to an ipod. If I do I only put in one earbud because I can't stand not knowing what is going on around me.

Gretch said...

I'm slowly easing back into running as well. I'm really just walking to get used to the movement a few times a week again. When I want music I usually do the one earbud thing and try to stick to the local park trails so that at least I don't have vehicles to worry about....folks on bikes on the other hand are still plentiful.

CJ said...

What I do sometimes, is I put my iphone in my sports bra and play it loud so i can hear. If you have a tight enough sports bar, then it usually stays put the hole time. Of course I have a case on my iphone so sweat doesn't affect the screen/phone. Crazy, I know. I'm trying to stay consistent, but it's hard with twins and working full time. I totally get it.

Anonymous said...

Your midsection won't get fixed by crunches - that is the opposite of what you should do! You probably have a diastasis recti from carrying babies (I did) and it can be fixed with the Tupler technique. Google it, get the splint and do the exercises and you will have a flat stomach again!

Sorry to sound like an informercial; I don't work for them, but it totally works!

Andrea said...

I wish ALL runners ran without ipods. It is MORE than frustrating trying to pass someone on a busy two way trail in the river valley. Mind you I'm on a bike, but even with the bell I've had some close encounters.

Lauren said...

Have you ever heard of the Couch to 5k program? I started running with a podcast of that program 3 years ago and have been hooked ever since. I have a post about it here on my site, http://www.lifevialens.com/blog/race-for-a-cure/

I hate running, but find it completely addictive once I get into a routine. Def checkout the C25K program - there's free podcasts on iTunes! :)

Mom of 2 princesses said...

That is a great 2 mile run! I usually run with my music, but if I am alone and on a street run, I put the headphones on my shoulder so I can hear around me.

Amber said...

People don't get it when I tell them NEVER to use earbuds when running outside -- to me, its just not worth either getting run over or attacked! Seriously!

Cecilia said...

Yikes. I'm guilty of running with my earbuds. Thanks for the warning!