Friday, March 16, 2012

GONE SEWING

As usual, I have much to blog about but a mini absence is necessary as I fervently create Easter outfit #1 because Easter is just over 3 weeks away. ACK! I made some progress today but Rich and I have both realized that when the girls are in school, you really only have 2 hours to yourself at the house. You have another 15-20 minutes to yourself in the car and believe me, I use that time to listen to MY music.

I was a teenager in the '80s and I clearly remember people older than myself who insisted on listening to music from the '60s or the '70s and I just couldn't understand them. Why do you want to listen to that when we have this totally awesome new music? Like New Kids on the Block! Do you know how you can tell when you are old? When you turn on the radio and you have no idea what you're listening to and you really don't care to even find out.

So, yeah, today I listened to a nice selection from 1994 to 2000.

Okay, I want to post a quick running update. I am up to 1.5 miles - that's per run, not in total. When I ran Wednesday night, I didn't realize that Rich had left the treadmill on a slight incline until about a half mile into my run. It was definitely more difficult to run like that but I left it because I knew I was getting a better workout. I now feel a little bit of an ache in my right knee, which could be from the weather or from pretending to be Growly, the angry dog or from running on an incline. I might drop back down to 1.25 tomorrow to see how it feels.

I found another great (old school) running song on my old running mix CDs. Shimmer by Fuel.

Let's talk about vocabulary. Although the girls can't read just yet, they quite often use big words. For example, last night Anna used transform. "And now this is going to transform into a boat."

I asked her for the definition of transform and she told me that it meant to turn into something else. Today, she was using the word object and gave me the correct definition of "a thing."

I wanted to test her even further. Back in November, Anna learned what a cornucopia was at school. We haven't discussed this in months. I asked her today what cornucopia meant. Here is her exact answer. (Exact because I sat down and typed it out after she said it.)

"A horn shaped basket that you put stuff you are thankful for in."

Hopefully, I'll be back tomorrow with a finished dress. Tonight, Rich spotted the back piece of the dress, which is full of ruffles, laying on the ironing board and said, "Oh, that's going to be cute." It's going to be totally awesome!

6 comments:

Tracey's Life said...

Thats wonderful that your girls have such great language skills and vocabulary. My guess is that you, Rich and Grammy do not speak baby talk to them. Kudos to you!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I love the vocabulary! And can't wait to see your dresses!

Just the Tip said...

way to go Anna on the vocab. Excited about the dress and Shimmer is one of my favorite songs!

Breenah said...

Luckily for timing I only have one dress to make, but it's my first sewing project since high school and I just started today. Let's just say bias tape is not my friend.

Nicole said...

There's so much new stuff in the way of music these days I just can't really be bothered to listening to anything other than what I'm used to. Your kids have got great vocab, by the way!

Melissa said...

Oooh, ruffles. I can't wait!