Saturday, April 23, 2011


Thank you for all the well wishes! I am extremely happy to be posting that my mom was discharged from the hospital today. She is now resting at her house, not ours. Tuesday, Wednesday and even Thursday were scary days because she had not shown signs of improvement.

Yesterday ended up being a big day in terms of recovery. I could not believe the difference when I arrived at the hospital last night. She is still on antibiotics and I'm positive she'll be able to get lots of sleep and rest at home versus at the hospital. She ended up with a roommate who kept the television on (loud) all. night. long.

Alright, so here are the lessons that I learned/confirmed this week:
  1. Do not say that you are going to follow the ambulance because the EMTs and driver think that you quite literally mean to follow the ambulance. The correct terminology is "meet you at the hospital."
  2. The hospital staff will not kick you out when visiting hours end if you are actually assisting the patient. Probably because it makes their jobs easier.
  3. Sharing a hospital room sucks.
Thankfully, I have an awesome family who will be helping out with watching the girls this week. Even if Grammy says she is ready, she needs to rest. Unfortunately, Rich and I can't just take off heaps of days from work. Well, we could but then we wouldn't have time left to take off if something else happened and for me, it's not very easy for someone to just take over my work.

I ended up working full days yesterday and today to try to catch up. Rich came down with this nasty virus last week and has been on antibiotics since last Saturday so he wasn't feeling so great this week. My nose and cough are finally drying out. It's been a tiring, stressful week.

As an added twist to the childcare arrangements, Anna needs to be cathed every three hours. My sister-in-law is the only other person aside from me, Rich and Grammy who knows how to cath Anna and thankfully, she can help out a lot this coming week. The girls just finished up their 10 days of antibiotics and for the first time in a month, are healthy. I actually saw buds on trees today (a month late, I believe) and the forecast is now calling for temps in the 60s and 70s this week. Things are looking up.


Sandi said...

Being sick definitely adds complications to an already complex life. I am happy to hear that things are improving and hope that everyone will be well soon.

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

So glad to hear things are heading in the right direction on a lot of accounts. I hope you all manage the juggle these next few days until Grammy is all better.

Chantel said...

Pass Grammy some love from Minnesota. I am glad things are looking up!

Wish I were closer enough to help.

Julia said...

I am happy to hear good news! Wish you a happy Easter, and a week of full recovery!

loveid said...

Such good news!!! So glad to hear that grammy is back at home. And everyone in the house seems to be shaking off their sickness as well :)

I really do wish I was close enough to help as well. I really believe it takes a village to raise a child. I'm glad that you have such an amazing support network. It makes all the difference!

Tracy said...

So glad to hear your mother is doing better and hope you manage a Happy Easter during these tough times. Blessings from us.

JEN said...

Yay Grammy and for family that can help out! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I've had three different hospital stays plus numberous ER visits (It's a long story) but oh the stories I could tell about kooky roommates!!!!

Bottom line: You cannot rest in a hospital.

Hope's Mama said...

Glad to get this update and to hear she's on the mend. I am sorry to hear you can't take more time off work. Seems another case of things not being as good/fair in your country as they are here. Most here would get family sick leave or carers leave or some other type of leave to make their lives a bit easier. Sorry this has been such a tricky time for your family.