Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The photog

I realized (painfully, I might add) a few weeks ago that I hadn't been taking as many photographs as I normally do. I guess it was a combination of a few different factors.

First of all, I had been feeling extremely limited with my camera but couldn't decide which camera to upgrade to. I was debating between the D90 and the D300. I had pretty much settled on the D300 but decided to wait to see if Nikon would ever announce the D90 replacement. And they did. The Nikon D7000 is a dream come true. {Sigh.} Unfortunately, it hasn't been released to suppliers yet and I don't anticipate getting my hands on one for months and months and months due to high demand.

So that leaves me with my outdated, grain at ISO above 400, sometimes I like to give you an error message for no reason D50.

We've spent the past few weekends trying to get the house a bit more organized and there is still some work to do in the playroom. I would rather be playing with my kids and setting up fall photo shoots but everyone has been tired and busy. And sick. And snoring at night so that Mommy can't get any sleep.

And sadly enough, by the time I arrive home in the evening, that last wonderful hour of magic sun is gone. Winter is closing in on us.

It's interesting because I read/see that a lot of folks with DSLRs quite frequently leave them at home and opt for the convenience of a point and shoot or their iphone when out and about. I don't. If we are going someplace fun, the camera goes as well. That's just how it is. I don't even own a point and shoot. Or an iphone.

Not having my camera with me at the Goo Goo Dolls show was a bit painful but I felt better after I convinced myself that, with my equipment, the photos wouldn't have been good. {Complete side note here but it had been so long since I had been to a show, I couldn't believe all the people (like half of them) holding up their phones and what-nots to record the show. I am SO out of the loop on that.} I did start drooling when I spotted a student (presumably a photographer for their paper) photographing the show. I wanted to run over and ask him if he was using a 70-200mm f2.8 lens (because it looked like that's what he was using.) What was his ISO set at? {Sigh.} I'll never know.

Okay. Okay. My lamenting is over. Maybe someday I'll be able to photograph a rock show with the proper equipment. So I am back to documenting our life. Even if we are tired, grumpy, sick or busy, life goes on and I keep clicking.

Pictures from this weekend.

Allie before leaving for a special night at Grammy's.

oct11a

(Okay, so I want to note a few things here. First, she was beyond excited to go but looks nervous only because she was afraid Grammy was going to leave while I was taking her picture. And I did not do any type of color pop post process.)

Play pictures.

oct11b

oct11c

Here's Anna attempting to brush Allie's hair with a brush intended for My Little Ponies.

oct11d

oct11e

oct11f

5 comments:

Helen said...

Love that shot with the pumpkins! I can't wait to take some pumpkiny pictures tomorrow :)

Oh and I don't have a point and shoot either! I upgraded to my Nikon when my PS died and I never replaced it. My Nikon goes almost everywhere with me - I couldn't imagine leaving it home!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I have a Nikon D60, but my pictures are nowhere near yours...nonetheless, I love my camera, and I love taking pictures of the girlies.

I bought a point-and-shoot to keep in the diaper bag for impromptu pictures...and I hate it! I have barely gotten one or two shots that are decent. (I'm sure a lot of it is operator-error, but it's a million miles from my DSLR.) I still keep that camera around, just in case, but - like you said - if we're going anywhere fun, I load up the Nikon.

Jen W said...

Long time lurker here. Just wanted to say I love my D90. I've had it about 6 months. Sold all my old Minolta gear and lenses and made the jump. I've had to use high ISO on occasion but didn't think they turned out badly.
I do, however have a little canon point and shoot I use too. It's usually on the counter within reach for one-off snapshots. I also have a much older point and shoot I keep in the diaper bag because you just never know... My twins are 1 next month and I've used it twice. I don't take my DSLR everywhere but do take it on outings. Just not errands. If that makes sense.

twinsplus3 said...

hi, i have been reading your blog for years and LOVE it. i log on everyday to see if you have a new post :) your triplets are beautiful. did you notice in the first photo of allie (i think?) waiting to go to grammys) two tiny pairs of legs in the door !!! watching the 'fairwell' i supose!! soooooo cute :D

JEN said...

The pumpkin picture is amazing.