Thursday, April 15, 2010

The life of a birthday cake

When we asked the girls what they wanted on their birthday cake this year, they all responded with, "ELMO!" For Allie, this was the obvious answer but I think that because Elmo was on their cake last year they thought that he needed to be on their cake this year. So that's how we ended up with an Elmo cake again.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

One of Rich's sisters has a friend who makes awesome cakes. After I had a slice of the cake she made for my sister-in-law's baby shower last year, I told Rich that we would have to order the girls' birthday cake from her. Rich and the girls picked up the cake on Saturday afternoon.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The girls were obsessed with it. Rich placed the box on their little table so that they could look at it but we had to stand there to guard it and after the third (or tenth) time someone grabbed at one of the decorations, we moved it to the middle of the dining room table. The girls SCREAMED and CRIED for a few minutes until they realized that they could pull a chair up to the dining room table to look at. Everytime I walked into the room, someone was kneeling in a chair looking at the cake.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(I had to share ALL of these pictures. They are just too cute.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After the party, I simply wrapped the remainder of the cake with Saran wrap. It remained safe and sound on the stove until it came time to cook dinner. Rich decided to move it to the dining room table again. I was working in the kitchen and the girls were playing in the dining room. Allie has her remaining two year molars coming in and hasn't been feeling too great. I heard a snippet of a conversation amongst the girls with the words "cake" and "we are just going to eat some later." Hmmmm?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A few minutes later Allie strolled into the kitchen and said, "Anna and Emoee are eating the cake." I walked into the dining room to catch the frosting snatchers with sticky fingers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The cake was delicious I might add. Especially paired with cookie dough ice cream.

5 comments:

Hilary Surratt said...

What a cute cake! I love how they just were trying to be so sneaky and eat some of the cake! Happy Birthday Anna, Emily, & Allie! :)

Ami said...

Oh my gosh!! How can they be so cute in every picture??! Their expressions as they just gaze at the cake as so adorable!

JEN said...

Fantastic cake! The pictures of them eating the cake and looking so happy are just priceless.

Emily said...

Great cake! I love the street signs with their names.

Deanna said...

That cake is adorable! (As are the girls, of course!) I'm still eating on cupcakes from my girls' birthday party a week ago.