Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Somewhat Typical Evening

Before babies, before marriage, before Rich, my weekday evenings were fairly standard outside of tax season. Three nights a week, I would arrive home shortly after 6:00, change as fast as possible and then drive over to a private gym to meet with my personal trainer. A few of those nights, I would run on my treadmill at home after the gym and then usually eat dinner close to 9:00. The nights that I didn't go to the gym, I would run at home. Other spare time was spent watching television or reading.

Raising triplets with both parents working full time is crazy and hectic. Do you want to see what our evening was like last night?

Rich and I arrived home at approximately 5:45. This is the absolute earliest time we will ever arrive home as it entails both of us sneaking out of the office a tad bit early. Our commute home includes a wonderful train ride. The girls were finishing up dinner right as we walked in the door. Grammy left about ten minutes later to run some errands.

Rich and I played with the girls until 6:50 and then we all headed upstairs for bath night. The girls LOVE playing in the tub together but then they all throw fits when we take them out one by one. If Grammy is around, we've started to bathe them together and then each adult can take a baby. Last night, Rich and I ran the assembly line. I would bathe a baby and then he would take that baby to dry off and dress while I bathed the next baby.

Anna was the last one in the tub so I dried and dressed her while Rich entertained the other two monkeys. Anna has been flipping out when we leave their room for the night. It is disconcerting because we don't know if it is related to the hernias. I had a talk with her as I was dressing her. I told her how much it upsets me to hear her cry and that her sisters would be right there next to her. I asked her not to cry.

I then snuck out to go change into my running gear while Rich continued to entertain the girls in their cribs. I had to throw in a load of the girls' clothes before I could run because we had run out of clean fleece jammies and it is FREEZING here in New England. Throwing in a load of their laundry always involves some type of stain removal process.

I didn't jump on the treadmill until 7:45 at which time Grammy returned from her errands with take-out. I ran one mile and then threw in some crunches before I sat down to eat.

My little talk with Anna seemed to have worked because she didn't cry at all. But Em did. She usually cries when she is exhausted and just wants to go to sleep. Rich went up once because it sounded like she may have dropped Little Lion out of the crib. Not too long after that, we hear a thud and Em screaming hysterically. I almost knocked Rich over to run up the stairs but he said that he would take care of it. I was concerned because she screamed once and then inhaled to scream again but didn't. Anna did that once last year and passed out with her eyes rolling into the back of her head.

Rich thinks that Allie may have thrown a book into Em's crib and hit her. (Grammy told me this morning that Em has a little scratch and bruise on her forehead.) The girls were FINALLY all asleep around 8:45. At that point, I could relax a little so I started cutting our Xmas cards. I designed them and Grammy was nice enough to print them for us but they needed to be cut down to size. It took me a few minutes to get used to the warped paper cutter but I managed to finish them all while Rich started writing out envelopes.

We stopped shortly after 10:00 to head up to bed. I think I was asleep by 10:45, which is a little bit later than normal. I would love to go to bed at 9:30 but there is just too much to do.

Seven years ago, I never thought my evenings would be like this. What a difference!

No comments: