Saturday, January 18, 2020

All the books I read in 2019

I read 50 books last year, which is pretty much average for me.  I think I say this every year, but I have no interest in participating in book challenges or the like.  I'm very satisfied with what I'm reading and currently have several hundred books on my wish list.  No need to fix what isn't broken.

When I record what I've read, I also keep track of which category the book falls into.  I think it's interesting to look back and see what types of books I read during the year.  Last year, I was very much into the trendy thrillers.

Here's what I read this year:

Fiction/Literature

1.  Southernmost

2.  The Dinner List

3.  The Forgetting Time

4.  The Golden State

5.  10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World

6.  Florida

7.  The Dinner

8.  Where the Crawdads Sing

9.  The Outsiders

10.  The Topeka School

11.  The Most Fun We Ever Had

12.  Daisy Jones and the Six

13.  Disappearing Earth

14.  Normal People

15.  Fourth of July Creek

16.  The Nickel Boys

17.  Marilou is Everywhere

18.  Fleishman Is in Trouble


Apocalyptic/Dystopian/Sci-fi/Fantasy

19.  Severance

20.  Of Blood and Bone

21.  The Book of M

22.  The Passage

23.  The Twelve

24.  City of Mirrors

25.  After the Flood

26.  The Testaments

27.  Here and Now and Then

28.  Year One

29.  The Emissary

30.  The Institute

31.  Elevation 


Nonfiction

32.  Behind the Beautiful Forevers

33.  Billion Dollar Whale

34.  Death in Yellowstone

35.  The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace

36.  Detroit:  An American Autopsy

37.  Killers of the Flower Moon

38.  American Prison

39.  Bad Blood

40.  Away Off Shore, Nantucket Island and It's People 1602-1890


Suspense/Thriller

41.  Something in the Water

42.  The Other Woman

43.  An Anonymous Girl

44.  The Au Pair

45.  The Last Summer of the Camperdowns

46.  The Flight Attendant


Memoir/Autobiography

47.  Heartland

48.  Small Fry

49.  No One Tells You This

50.  American Desperado


I want to point out some of my favorites for the year:

The Nickel Boys is definitely one of my top picks.  An amazing book.

The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace is an incredible book.  It's very well written and so thought-provoking.  And it stayed with me, obviously, as I'm able to select it from a list of 50 books.

I really enjoyed The Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin.  The books are long and I probably would have been able to read six books in the time it took me to finish those three, but reading isn't a contest.  I actually like longer, detailed books I can really get into.

My consumption of trendy thrillers significantly decreased in 2019 as compared to 2018, but if I had to pick one out of the six I read (although that number is probably closer to five as The Last Summer of the Camperdowns was borderline) I'd say the best one was An Anonymous Girl.

Happy reading!

No comments: