Monday, January 28, 2019

Thoughts from my sewing room

Well, technically speaking it's really a designated area and not a room.  I have the tables holding my machines set up to block off the space and the girls know they aren't allowed in there without permission.  That space is the size of a walk-in closet right now but we're going to do some rearranging in the basement to make it bigger.  Yay!

1.28b

Growing up, my mom used to sew clothes for us because it cost less than purchasing those items new.  We didn't have stores such as Old Navy or Target back in the '70s, or in the "old fashioned days" as my lovely children like to call it.  And, yes, I do realize the 'wash and toss' mentality did not exist at that time either.

I don't remember exactly how old I was when my mom taught me to sew but I was on the younger side.  I know I could sew when I was in the 4th grade so I must have been around 8 or 9.  For me, it was a hobby as my dolls certainly did not need those clothes and blankets and whatever else I crafted for them.

It's interesting to me how sewing seems to have become more popular these days, but the dynamic is completely different.  I see people purchasing fabric for $40 a yard on the black market.  You cannot make the argument that this is for money saving purposes.

Yes, I know it's pretty but even at $22 per yard, it's expensive.

1.28a

For most, sewing is a hobby.  For some, it's a business.  I can argue that the market for home-sewn goods is over-saturated.

But here I am. Sewing.

1.28e
A preppy, hand-quilted pencil pouch.

Some tips, or ramblings. . .

Cutting fabric for projects can be tedious and extremely time consuming.  I am extra careful with my measurements when I cut fabric because I know when I go to sew those pieces together, my project is going to look nicer and more professional if the pieces fit together as they should.  So while it may take extra time for me to cut fabric, I save time sewing when the fabric is cut to the correct size.

Have you ever worked with wood?  If yes, than you know how important it is to be precise with your measurements.  Imagine putting together a table when all four legs are different lengths.  You'd have to take extra time to fix those legs and then you run the risk of having your completed project not measure the height it's supposed to measure.  The same thought process should be applied to sewing.

Measure twice, cut once.

If the fabric has a design in it, make sure you cut it going in the right direction.  You don't want it to end up upside down.

It's okay to use your seam ripper.  Look, we've all been there.  Even the most experienced sewists still flub up.  Using a seam ripper doesn't mean you don't know what you're doing, it means you care about your project and want it to look its best.  Don't be afraid to take something apart if it didn't come out right.

Let's talk about ironing for a minute.  I can't speak for those who exclusively sew clothes from cotton lycra but I can tell you that if you use woven cotton, you need to iron.  A lot.  I honestly don't know how people sew bags, etc. without ironing at all.  I can tell when you haven't ironed.  In order to get those nice crisp lines, you need to iron.  Please.  Ironing will make your finished projects look so much more professional.

1.28c

It's sort of ironic how I now have the time to sew more for the girls but they are mostly beyond that when it comes to clothes.  As they say, life does pass by in the blink of an eye.  The girls see Disney outfits I create for resale and they always say, "That's so cute.  I'd wear that at Disney."  Get it all in when you can.

1.28d

@sarah_sews_and_sells on IG for those who want to follow.

1 comment:

JENin said...

You are so talented. I really admire crafty people, since I am just not precise. At all. I've finally accepted that!