Sunday, January 13, 2019

A Year of Running

In 2018, I ran 555.1 (to be exact) miles.  Not my best year, but definitely not my worst.  I always try to look at it this way - it's better than running 0 miles.  I know my running posts aren't the most popular and that's okay.  I share my experiences because I'm motivated when I read or hear about others running and so the thought is that someone out there may find some motivation in what I write.

At the beginning of the year, I set goals specific to running and when I realized that those goals weren't really working out for me, I made some changes.  I'm not the fastest runner and now in my 40s, my body feels each and every year, and with each and every year, I seem to slow down.  I decided to stop focusing so much on speed, and this allowed me to run slightly longer distances.

I'm one of those "middle of the pack" runners who are scoffed at by those who can run faster or, quite often, by those who are impressed with those who can run faster.  But at least I'm out there doing something.  I think it's important for everyone to get up and move, whether it's running or walking or biking or dancing.  Do something!  And if you start today, think about where you will be a year from now.

I first started running more than 20 years ago for exercise and because I'd always wanted to be able to run without feeling like I was going to keel over after a tenth of a mile.  Each year in high school, we had to pass a fitness test, which included being able to run a mile in less than 12 minutes.  Yes, I was able to do so but I felt miserable during and afterwards and couldn't understand why it was so much easier for others.  I specifically remember one year a boy, who was older and on the track team, running that 12 minute mile test in my gym class with us.  He effortlessly passed me and my friends on the track several times and I guess you could say I was inspired and motivated by that.  There's a lot I don't remember from my high school days, but I remember him running circles around us in detail.  It took a couple of years for me to get out there - I did have a dislocated kneecap to deal with as well - but I finally hit the road and I'm still going.

I'll be honest and tell you that there are days I don't want to run, but I'm supposed to according my schedule.  I still go out and get that run in and I am always happy afterwards that I pushed myself to do it.  Some take this to mean that I don't really like running.  I don't think that's true.  People who truly don't like running don't run or if they do, it doesn't last for long.  Running is physically demanding and there are days when I just want to be lazy.  I think we can all relate to that.

It's the middle of January and I haven't set any running goals for this year.  I don't plan to either.  I try to run every other day and I adjust the milage based on how my legs are feeling.  I do set short term goals, meaning I know how far I want to run before I start running.  The only time I don't meet those goals is if I'm sick (or recovering) or it's 90 degrees with 100% humidity and my body is telling me I'm done.  I'm still a believer of knowing what you want to run (distance, time, etc.) before you lace up.  Otherwise, it's too easy to make excuses.

It was almost a year ago when I joined my first ever dance class (you can read about that here.)  Tap requires a lot from your legs, especially the ankles, and I've learned that running on the days I have class isn't the greatest combination.  An easy 3 mile run in the morning (I have class at night) is doable right now, but anything more than that doesn't seem to work.  When I'm at dance, I want to do well and feeling it in my ankles at the beginning of class is going to make tapping difficult.    

Because there was an interest, the dance studio added a half hour adult jazz class to the end of the tap class for those who wanted to take it.  That began in November and just ended two weeks ago because the studio set up a full hour adult jazz class on another night.  Unfortunately, it's our busiest night of the week and the time just doesn't work for me.

Below are my running summaries for November and December.  I ended up sick at the end of December with what I first thought was a cold but it lasted for three weeks and I was pretty miserable for part of it.  My mileage for the month was lower because of that.


Total miles for November - 50.85

11/02 - Tap/jazz class
11/03 - 4 miles
11/05 - 4 miles
11/08 - 6.25 miles
11/09 - Tap/jazz class
11/10 - 4 miles
11/12 - 3 miles (28:31)
11/15 - 5 miles
11/17 - 5 miles
11/19 - 3 miles
11/22 - 4 miles
11/24 - 3.1 miles
11/27 - 4 miles
11/28 - 5.5 miles
11/29 - Tap/jazz class

Total miles for December - 41.25

12/01 - 5 miles (51:35)
12/03 - 3 miles (30:52)
12/05 - 4 miles
12/07 - Tap/jazz class
12/08 - 5 miles
12/10 - 3 miles (and I have a very sore tendon in my left leg)
12/13 - 2 miles (testing out tendon)
12/14 - 3 miles + Tap/jazz class
12/16 - 5.25 miles
12/18 - 4 miles
12/21 - Tap class
12/28 - 3 miles
12/30 - 4 miles



No comments: