Thursday, August 16, 2018

MIA + Identicalness of Identicals

I didn't intend to be away from posting for so long.  I have lots to say and a slew of photos to share but I am currently in the last minute rush to finish the girls' Disney customs, which I plan to photograph before we leave.  I've learned my lesson on that one from previous trips.  Apparently, I did not learn that waiting for summer when the girls are out of school is not the best time to cram in huge sewing projects.

DSC_1213edit

This is Emily's outfit for the new Toy Story Land in Hollywood Studios.  She'll just wear a plain tank top with it.

And a close up of the fabric hair bow, my latest thing.

DSC_1216edit  

The only reason why I'm not sewing this very minute is because the girls have friends over and they are in the pool so I need to be outside watching them.

I probably won't be able to post much over the next couple of weeks as I wrap up sewing, and packing, and then we head to Disney and you all know that I don't vacation blog in real time.

So let's talk about identicals.  At the end of June and beginning of July, the girls all had ortho check-ups.  Somewhat frustrating is that the office won't book three back-to-back appointments for siblings.  The most they will do is two.  Okay, whatever.  Not the end of the world.  It's not too far away so it isn't that much of an inconvenience, especially during the summer.  As a result of those appointments, I was told that Allie needed to have four (more) baby teeth pulled and Emily needed two.

As your adult teeth come in, they dissolve the roots of the baby teeth, causing them to loosen up and fall out.  When you have little mouths and crowding, sometimes the adult teeth don't come up right under the baby teeth, so the recommendation is to have a dentist pull the baby teeth to make room for the adult teeth.  
 
Allie has already had several baby teeth pulled because of crowding.  Anna had teeth pulled a few years ago, but this was Emily's first time.  So far, we've had all teeth pulled via the dentist and novocaine (or whatever they use these days.)  Our dentist office won't pull four teeth (two top and two bottom, different sides of the mouth) at the same time because there would be too much numbness, the kids could accidentally bite their tongues.

So in July, Allie had two teeth pulled.  Last Wednesday, she had the other two pulled.  We had friends over on Tuesday and all the kids were swimming.  Emily got out of the pool complaining of water in her ear.  The water was still there on Wednesday.  She was scheduled to have her teeth pulled on Thursday so I told her that if the water was still in her ear on Friday morning, I would call the doctor.

Allie slept over at my parents' house on Thursday night.  Thankfully, before I could call the doctor about Emily's ear, Allie text me from Grammy's phone to tell me her ear was hurting.  I get her and Grammy on the phone so I can find out exactly what's going on.  I didn't think it was related to her earrings but I wanted to confirm.  It was the inside of her ear, so I made an appointment for the Wonder Twins.

Interestingly enough, they were both diagnosed with swimmer's ear.  Emily in the right and Allie in the left.  Neither one has ever had swimmer's ear and I think there may have been one ear infection once with Allie years ago.  What are the odds of that?  Funny, because the week before Rich was talking about the high balance in our flex spending account.  We took care of that problem.

I'll try to pop on here and there, but I'll be back for sure at the end of the month!

3 comments:

Susanne said...

I would love to have Emily’s skirt in an adult size to wear to the Disneyland Halloween party. Happy sewing!

EmilyRT said...

Do you have a pattern you use for the skirt? My little girl is too tall for most skirts I can find, so I need to try learning to sew some!

Sarah said...

Thanks, Susanne!

Emily - I use my own pattern. I do have a blog post outlining how to create your own pattern. You can adjust it to whatever measurements you need. https://thegreatumbrellaheist.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-create-your-own-twirl-skirt.html