Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Is Key West Kid Appropriate?

When I was in the sixth grade, my father was stationed in Key West, FL for two weeks.  He planned for his assignment to coincide with February school vacation week so we would only miss two weeks of school.  We were gone for three weeks in total because we drove down to Florida and then back to Massachusetts.  That's six people in a Volvo station wagon for 1,650 miles each way covered over three days.  I was a few weeks away from my 12th birthday, my brother, Dan, was a few weeks away from turning 11 and then my younger brothers were 9 and 4.  

We stayed in two dorm-like rooms complete with scratchy blankets at the Navy base.  The water in the swimming pool was green and not fit for swimming.  Or so we were told.  There were no televisions in the rooms but each floor did have a separate room with couches, chairs and one television.  Whatever cleaner was used in the common kitchens was so overpowering and lingered for hours that we children complained endlessly and refused to eat unless we covered our noses.  (We were such little angels.)  But this was one of the most memorable vacations my family ever had.

In the mornings, we would complete the homework assigned by the nuns at our school and then my mom, God bless her, would head out on foot with all four of us.  She was no dummy.  Her goal was to wear us out.  Plus, who wants to sit around essentially a dorm with four kids?  We experienced so many of the tourist attractions - the aquarium, Ernest Hemingway's home, a glass bottom boat.  We climbed to the top of the lighthouse, we learned how fabric is screen printed, we played in the oddly shaped trees.  We walked up and down what felt like every street.  When my father wasn't working, we would drive up the Keys and explore sandy beaches.

There's just something about the Florida Keys that's different and mesmerizing.  Maybe it's the hypnotic pull of the ocean or that Caribbean feeling right here in the US.  I know there are nicer beaches in Florida. (I've visited some of them.) But there's something about the Keys that keeps it on my list of places to return to.

Before children, Rich and I vacationed in the Keys.  We flew into Miami and drove to Duck Key to spend a few nights at Hawks Cay Resort.  We then headed to Key West for the remainder of the week.  Unfortunately, I had been sick with a respiratory infection prior to leaving and because we had deadlines at work, I hadn't been able to take any sick days or rest.  I was a bit useless for the first part of our vacation but once we hit Key West, we went out and visited all the main tourist attractions.

I've always intended to return to the Keys with the girls.  They are at a better age now and that hypothetical vacation has moved up closer to the top of the Future Vacation Wish List.  For those of us in Massachusetts, Florida is a fairly quick and painless three and a half hour flight away.  After visiting Key West as a child and then as an adult, I've never thought of it as a destination not meant for kids.  I was a bit surprised (although, nothing should surprise me any longer) last week when I stumbled upon a discussion regarding family vacations to Key West.  The commenters made it known that Key West was not appropriate for kids.  Of course, the expertise level of these commenters is debatable as highlighted by the following statement:  I've never been to Key West but when I do go, it won't be with kids.  (insert wine glass emoji here)

Key West has always had a reputation as a party place.  But other locations do as well.  Around here, Montreal is the place to go for bachelor parties but I've never heard anyone say it's not a city to visit with kids.  A quick google search told me that Key West as a family destination is a highly debated topic.  

I found it interesting to see many speak of "kid-friendly" and "kid-appropriate" as if the two were interchangeable.  To me, they are very different.  For example, a kid-friendly restaurant is one with a menu for children.  In my opinion, a bar is not kid-appropriate.  What you feel is appropriate for your children may differ greatly from what I believe is appropriate for mine.  That being the case, I don't tend to ask for opinions of strangers on whether or not something is appropriate for my kids.

It's been more than ten years since I've visited Key West but I wouldn't hesitate to bring my girls there today.  Would we visit during Fantasy Fest?  No.  Would we wander down Duval Street at night?  No.  I'm in full out tropical dreaming mode right now and wish we could head down there tomorrow.  I just need some hot sun, pretty pastel houses and key lime pie.    

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's so funny you bring this up - I am in the midst of planning a family vacation for next year split between Key West and then heading back north toward Miami for the flight home. My kids will be 10 and 13. My husband and I honeymooned in Key West and have wanted to go back since. I think any vacation is as kid friendly as you want to make it. And you need to be smart about where and when you spend time - like you said - probably not Duval St at night. I'm excited to get my family down there for all the reasons you listed!

Melissa said...

It is absolutely a great place to go with and without kids. We just went a couple of years ago with our 3 young children. We stayed at Hawks Cay and drove down to Key West twice to spend the day. You named some great places to visit there and you may want the add the Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory also.