Monday, April 16, 2018

Be Yourself

The girls had two days of state-wide mandatory testing at school last week.  Yes, in the days leading up to vacation week.  On Thursday, with testing finally over for the week, the students were told they could have a "spirit day" on Friday.  Spirit days typically mean those who want to participate dress in a certain way for the day.  Sometimes we have a Patriots or a Red Sox spirit day, or sometimes it's dress in comfy/cozy clothes.  Unfortunately, the message trickled down at the last minute and only one of the girls knew what was going on when school was let out.  Her class had decided to have a pajama day.

Later that afternoon, I received an email from another teacher saying that the kids, who had been left in class when the decision was made, opted for a "whatever" spirit day, but most indicated that they would be wearing what they wanted to be when they grow up.  I was left with one kids who didn't know what her class was doing.  At dance that night, a few kids were questioned as to spirit day rumors and based on those responses, along with the fact that the teacher who sent the email typically teams up with the other teacher, I told Child #3 to just go with "career day."  Career day in our home usually refers to dressing as a dancer.

The next morning, there was some hemming and hawing over outfit choices.

"What if I'm the only one who dresses for a career day?"    

"Then you'll be the only one.  Own it.  It won't be the end of the world.  There was a kid wearing a freaking dinosaur costume last month."

We're dipping our toes into the world of "I need to be like everyone else."  It's not that big of a deal here in fifth grade, but I don't know what next year will hold.  Right now, you don't have to wear certain clothes or your hair a certain way.  I completely understand not wanting to stand out in a negative way, but there's something to be said for remaining true to yourself.  I clearly remember junior high and Benetton and Esprit.  I didn't even like those clothes but wanted them because that's what everyone else was wearing.  It's tough.

I feel like now, more than ever, especially with social media, trend-following, which once ended in the teen years, is extending well into adulthood.  Never mind how quickly trends change these days.  I laughed when I saw the comment "that's so 2015" a few weeks ago.  A year ago, more than half the kids pouring outside at school dismissal held a Rubik's cube or a fidget spinner.  I haven't seen any this year.

Oh, Child #3 spirit day update.  Kids were dressed every which way, including several in "career day" attire.

The girls celebrated their 11th birthday last week.  Last month, I found myself saying, "I don't understand why this is so difficult.  You're almost 11."      

4.16a

4.16b

4.16c

4.16d  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to the girls! Can you believe they're already eleven? My daughter is 4.5 and I can't believe how the time has flown. I love that saying "the days are long but the years are short" since it encompasses our lives perfectly.