Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Storage solution for my nail polish collection

I've told you guys before how I collect nail polish.  I always have, but now my collection is the largest it's ever been and I needed a storage solution because this

12.13a

was just not cutting it anymore.

Whenever I painted my nails, I needed to sift through 40+ bottles of polish in order to find what I was looking for.  Also, I tried to keep the bottles upright but inevitably some would fall over onto their sides.

There are several different storage options when it comes to nail polish but I knew what I did not want.  We have wall space in the bedroom but that room is not just my room, it's also Rich's and I didn't think he'd appreciate a wall of polish.  I do have to add here that I've seen some really cool looking wall storage of Essie polish.  But, anyway, I definitely did not want wall storage.  I also eliminated storage containers which need to sit on a table or a shelf.  Our storage space is pretty much maxed out and I didn't want to be dragging a storage box out from the closet every time I painted my nails.

After purchasing tiered bathroom storage units from HomeGoods for the girls to organize their hair and beauty products, I decided that's how I wanted to store and organize my polish.  The only problem was finding the right shelving unit and when you shop at HomeGoods, the merchandise is constantly changing.  I finally found one that would work and didn't break the bank.  I came across several storage shelving made out of acrylic or lucite and while I liked the way those looked, I didn't like the price.  The least expensive one was $120.

So here's what I ended up with.

12.13b

It cost $49 and gives me more than enough storage space with plenty of room to grow.

I organized my color polishes on the top shelf and my base and top coats on the middle shelf.  I need to find some baskets for the bottom shelf and all of my other nail stuff.

12.13c

12.13d

This is currently pushed next to my bureau in a part of the bedroom that doesn't get hit with direct sunlight.  I try to follow the rules of extending the life of the polish - don't store in direct sunlight, near heat or in the bathroom, and keep the bottles upright.  If I ever get around to cleaning out our walk-in closet, I plan to make room for it in there.  I like the fact that I can easily see what I have.

1 organizing project complete, 1,000 more to go!      

2 comments:

Hayden said...

Long time lurker, first time commenter. Saw your girls out shopping last night and felt like I was having a celebrity sighting! Wishing you all happy holidays!

Sarah said...

Too funny! Happy Holidays to you too!!