Tuesday, May 9, 2017

I'm a photographer

Shortly after I created this blog back in 2008, it seemed like everyone who had a blog also had a DSLR camera or wanted a DSLR camera.  At the time, I owned a Nikon D50 which was purchased with the intent to capture memories of my babies.  I only knew how to use it on auto mode though.  But I had an image in my mind of how I wanted my photos to look, so I set out to learn.  I taught myself to shoot in manual.  I researched camera equipment.  I watched the light.

And then everyone started using their smart phone cameras instead.

Well, it felt that way.

In the past month or so, I've noticed an uptick in postings related to DSLRs.  Bloggers learning to shoot in manual.  Bloggers stating how they feel comfortable labeling themselves as "photographers."  Bloggers detailing their equipment and how they learned to shoot and edit.  Is the tide turning?  Is DSLR use increasing?

Either way, the business side still remains oversaturated.

I read an article a few weeks ago from a photographer who doesn't take clients because she's not a business person.  I tried to find it to link here but, alas, it's been swept away.  Anyway, it was a good read for me because it didn't make me feel like I'm not a photographer because I don't have a photography business.  I used to strongly dislike being called (or even calling myself) a "hobbyist."  It almost implied that I wasn't good enough to attract a client base.  I'm a photographer.  Enough said.

5.9a

5.9b

5.9i

5.9c

5.9d

5.9n

5.9e

5.9f

5.9g

5.9q

5.9r

5.9j

5.9l

5.9o

5.9m

5.9p

5.9s

5.9h

5.9k

1 comment:

cg said...

You most definitely are a photographer! I love your pictures and reading your shooting tips!