Thursday, January 12, 2017

No, time does not stand still

Last Wednesday, as the girls and I were loitering outside the school, waiting for the doors to open for the day, I received word that Grammy's uncle had passed away in Kentucky.  He was 69 years old, two years older than Grammy and seemingly young to have left this world, but his heart had failed him.  Growing up, Grammy was an only child for 17 years so aunts, uncles and cousins who were close in age were more like siblings.  I last spoke to Uncle S at Papaw's funeral back in May.  I had mentioned wanting to bring the girls for a visit and we talked about his farm.  He was fun and outgoing, and I know he would have made the girls smile.

The girls saw my face fall and I told them what was going on.  I brought up again how I'd been meaning to bring them to Kentucky to visit family.

"You keep talking about going to Kentucky.  What are you waiting for?  Time doesn't stand still."

Words of wisdom from Anna, age 9.

A few months ago, my sister-in-law and I were discussing vacation plans for the summer and she commented how it seems crazy to be making summer plans for next year when the kids had just gone back to school.  I agreed.  But now, in January, June is only five months away.  Currently, we only have concrete plans for a week in July.  The rest of the summer is open but there are tentative plans for this and that.  I definitely want to head over to Michigan again, and now I'm thinking we should travel down to Kentucky for a few days as a part of that trip.  The girls have requested a full day at Niagara Falls to explore as part of our Michigan road trip.

As of right now, this upcoming summer will be anything but boring.  I'm not planning on sitting around the house.  I want to take advantage of my time at home and where the girls are right now in life.

You only get one chance to do this.

No comments: