Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Baking, making, cooking, meals

I absolutely love Mexican food but sadly, my children do not.  They'll eat tacos and nachos and that's about it.  Against the odds, I made chicken enchiladas two weeks ago.  Now, if they weren't tasty, I would admit that I screwed up or the recipe was bad, etc.  But they were pretty good.  The girls would not eat them.  Emily and Anna wouldn't even try.  Emily has some weird melted cheese issue going on and Anna was just being Anna.  Allie, my child who eats just about anything, took one bite and said she really did not like the enchilada sauce and wouldn't eat any more.  This is the same kid who added roasted Brussels sprouts to her sandwich the other day.

I took another chance and decided to pull together cheesesteak (light on the cheese) sandwiches for dinner the other night.  I even fried fresh onions and green peppers, and sliced up a nice, ripe tomato for toppings.  The sandwiches, along with the toppings, were devoured and I was told that it was one of the best meals ever.

So I baked bread and decided that it's not going to be a common occurrence.  I had stumbled upon a bread recipe, we were low on bread and I had all the ingredients so I went for it.  It was super tasty but time consuming (I didn't particularly enjoy the clean-up) and not really a money saver.

10.5a

I also baked (from scratch) cinnamon apple muffins.  This recipe is easy to follow and those muffins were delicious.  (I decided to skip the icing because they were sweet enough.)  But again, it took a long time to make just 12 muffins and in this house, those muffins didn't last long.

10.05b

Here are some meals that I photographed.  I sometimes forget because there just isn't time.  For dinner last night, I made chili in the crock pot along with cornbread.  It was delicious.  One kid declared it to be in the top ten of meals, another said the top twenty.  The third one wouldn't eat it because it had beans.  Seriously?  But, yeah, no photos.

10.05c
Turkey meatloaf.  Recipe from Ina Garten.  So freaking tasty.

10.05d
This is a simple Greek pasta salad made with tortellini.  I added cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, cucumber, feta cheese and a Greek dressing.  I probably won't repeat this until warmer weather rolls back around but it was easy to make.  The kids ate it without complaint but wouldn't eat leftovers.

10.02e
Swedish meatballs with egg noodles and roasted broccoli.  I love roasted veggies.  Tasty and simple.

One of our meals last week was chickpea patties with homemade sweet potato fries and roasted Brussels sprouts.  One of these days, I'll document what I add to the patties and the fries!

3 comments:

Amber said...

That Greek pasta salad looks delicious! Thank you for continuing to share!

Kylie said...

I love your meal posts! I know you said you wouldn't make the bread again, but it looks delicious!!

Christi said...

I took a bread making class up at King Arthur this spring. And haven't baked bread since!
I made Smitten Kitchen's pumpkin bread this week. One bowl. Really delicious.
https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/10/pumpkin-bread/
You can also make them into muffins.