Monday, May 23, 2016

Papaw's funeral and travels

Last week, Papaw was laid to rest in Lexington, Kentucky.  I take comfort in knowing that he is no longer suffering or afraid, but that doesn't erase the sadness of our loss.  It has been extremely difficult for my grandmother, who now has to learn to live without her husband of 68 years.  Alzheimer's took away his ability to say, "This is my wife, Ruth," but he always knew that she was 'the lady with the hair' that took care of him.  His heart stayed true to the end.

My grandparents moved from Kentucky to Michigan over 40 years ago but aside from my uncle and his family, and my mom's cousin, my extended family still lives in Kentucky.  It's been almost 20 years since I last visited and I definitely felt like a fish out of water.  I was born in Boston and I've lived here my entire life.  I have traveled to other parts of the country so the differences shouldn't surprise me, but they always do.

Differences between Boston and Kentucky:
  • Homemade sweet tea
  • Cherry coke in vending machines
  • Everyone has an accent. I act as if I am accent-less.
  • I speak too fast.
  • Ma'am

I ate Chick-fil-A for the first time (there aren't any around here) and I don't see what the big deal is.  It was a chicken sandwich.  Anyway, I walked up to the counter, the teenager working there greeted me, I gave him my order and then he greeted me again.  So I ordered again speaking slowly.  We're fast talkers up here.  I also do realize that I have aged terribly and I was feeling extremely conscious with all the ma'aming going on.  Until the girl in line next to me, who was clearly 15 years old, was yes, ma'amed several times.  Then I didn't feel so bad.

I would like to bring the girls to Kentucky to meet family there at some point in the next few years.  You know, before they refuse to be seen with me. 

I was going to talk about my adventures flying on "regional" planes but I need to get to bed.  It's already turning out to be a rough workweek.   

6 comments:

Jenna said...

I am sorry for your loss.

Teej said...

LOL to the yes ma'am thing. I was taught to say it growing up and still say it by default to everyone, including the 16yo cashiers at the grocery store. It is kind of a strange thing because some people do take offense to it: "Don't ma'am me, I'm not that old!" But just know that they weren't ma'aming you because you look old (which you don't) but likely because it is rote habit. I would have to think really hard not to say it.

Disappointing you didn't feel the magic that is Chick-Fil-A. You didn't think their chicken was superior to other fast food chicken? I feel like there is no comparison btw CFA chicken nuggets (tastes like real chicken) and McDonalds or BK or Wendy's (tastes processed, gristly).

Christi said...

so sorry, Sarah

I spent time in Raleigh NC at my last job at a branch office. The first place they took me for lunch was Chick-Fil-A. It was ok but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there (I think there's one up in Saugus or Burlington?)
Then again, I don't get chicken sandwiches at other fast food places so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

It's definitely a slower pace in the South. A big adjustment for a Boston girl who talks and walks as fast as a Gilmore Girl. LOL

Bernice said...

Thank you for not seeing the big deal with Chick Fil A, my daughter loves it and couldn't believe that I didn't feel the same way,
I will keep you Grandma in my prayers,it will be hard, not having the one she loved and cared for for so many years around,my parents have been married 67 years and we kids worry about what will happen to the other after one passes.
Again so sorry.

Sarah said...

Thank you for the kind comments.

If I eat fast food, I don't usually eat chicken so maybe I didn't have a good comparison. It wasn't bad but definitely not something I would seek out.

My mom has always told me that ma'am was a sign of respect but up here, it's usually for old people. They'll use "miss" instead of ma'am if you're younger.

Teej said...

I should add that I am very sorry your loss, and I hope that your grandmother handles this difficult transition as well as can be expected. In my previous comment, I was apparently too excited about Southern culture to address the real issue of the post.