Monday, May 16, 2016

A somber weekend



Saturday mornings have been hectic for us since we moved the girls' gymnastics lessons to the weekend.  Up until this year, we'd been able to avoid Saturday activities but when Emily and Allie were moved up to the next level in gymnastics, the only open spots were Saturday morning.  Hmmmm, I wonder why that is?  Rich volunteered to be in a performance at the end of the girls' dance recital.  (Don't ask. Just rest assured that I do make fun.)  He's been waking up at 7:00 to get to rehearsal on time and because I'm such a light sleeper, this means that I'm awake at 7:00 as well.  I was actually awake from 5:30 to 6:15.  Ugh, not a good morning for sleeping.  I usually make the girls whatever they request for breakfast (eggs, egg + cheese sandwiches, hash browns) so they are full of energy for their two hour lesson.  Anna's is only an hour long but I'm sure it feels like two hours to her.  By the time I eat, clean up and shower, there is no time for messing around.    

As I was grabbing what I needed to rush out the door with Emily and Allie, I picked up my phone and saw a missed call and voicemail from my uncle.  I knew in that moment that Papaw had gone.  After I spoke with my uncle, everyone was crying but I still need to leave with Allie and Emily.  Anna hugged me and through tears said, "I'm sorry about your grandpa."  The girls had questions on the drive to the gym but then we changed the subject to keep the tears away.  For some reason, their class was called in a few minutes late and I was trying my best to keep them from crying.  Well, not even five minutes later, one of the instructors came out with a crying Emily.  Allie was ten steps behind them.  Everyone was really nice and told us we could schedule a make-up class if we needed to leave.  We went out to the van to cool down and I managed to get them back into class.

After gymnastics, we rushed home to eat lunch, change clothes and head off to a birthday party at an indoor pool.  The girls haven't been in a body of water since last summer so it took them a few minutes to get used to the water.  (By the way, they looked adorably awesome in their new swimsuits.) You had to pass a swim test in order to go into the deep end.  After some coaxing, Allie and Emily took the swim test and they passed, as I knew they would.  They all had a blast swimming and I'll tell you, that hour of swimming combined with gymnastics made for some good sleep.  Even though there were four lifeguards, I stood there counting kids.  One, two, three.  One, two, three.  


The weather was gorgeous Saturday.  Bright and 79 degrees.  Then rain moved in and it was only in the 50s for Sunday. Meteorologists are predicting a hot summer for us.  Bring it.


I was one of the last people in the office Friday night as I had to send out deliverables via email. As I was packing up, I grabbed a few items to take home with me.  No reason to wait until the very end to clean out my personal items.  I keep my own lightweight laptop bag in the office and use it instead of the clunky one provided by my employer.  I grabbed the laptop bag and stuffed the photos from my wall in it.  For a moment, I thought of taking my laptop just in case.  But I didn't.  Instead of commuting into work this morning and then immediately turning around to head home with my computer, I decided to drive in Sunday afternoon to pick it up.  I had a few things to wrap up that couldn't be done from home.  Rich and the girls came with me.  Their favorite places in the office were the kitchen and the conference room where you can see the airport.

The girls had a ton of questions surrounding Papaw and the fact that he is being waked in one state and buried in another.  For example, they thought the airline would place his casket in that space under the seats.  How would a kid know any different?  Rich and I eventually began limiting our discussions regarding arrangements as I didn't want that to be first and foremost in their thoughts.

I probably won't be posting again this week as travel is required to attend my grandfather's funeral.  Thank you for all the kind comments.

No comments: