Friday, March 11, 2016

The end of the week

I decided to run last night for the first time since the beginning of January.  So, yes, one of my goals this year to was exercise more but outside of walking, because I work in the city and need to walk, I haven't done been doing anything.  I had to stop running when I fell ill at the beginning of the year.  That turned out to be undiagnosed strep throat and it took me a month or so to actually feel not sick.  I'm kind of in a burnt-out mental zone right now.  Long story short, I've been trying to stay healthy and even though exercising is good, when you're trying to cram it in at 8:00 at night when you're tired, it can be counter-productive.  Anna cannot get strep throat again.  I want to put as much space as possible between that last strep incident and the here and now.

Something came up the other day and I was kind of mad at myself for not being in 5K condition.  In my mind, 5K condition is the ability to go out and run a 5K with a decent time without having to "train" for it.  It was sort of a kick in the pants.  So last night I ran for the first time in about two months.  

Allie was complaining of a sore throat last night.  She claimed to have had it all day but hadn't said anything to Grammy.  She woke me up before midnight asking if I could sleep in her bed with her because she didn't feel well.  Unfortunately, the better part of the night was spent tossing and turning which meant neither one of us slept well.  I had to be up shortly after 5:30 as I needed to be ready to leave the house at 6:45.  I was so freaking tired this morning that I almost fell backwards down the stairs from the second floor hallway and then in Boston, I stepped off the curb just as the traffic light turned and it took my brain far too long to process that I needed to step back up onto the curb.  No bueno.

Allie's rapid strep test was negative and a culture was sent to the lab to confirm that diagnosis.  Unfortunately, we won't know those results until Monday morning.  I'm hopeful that this is just some cold/virus and clears up this weekend.  Anna cannot get strep throat again.

I'm a night person and usually don't like going to bed early when I need to catch up on sleep.  I feel better when that sleep is on the other end but that doesn't really work in certain life situations so to bed early I go.      

1 comment:

Teej said...

Fingers crossed for no more strep in your house!

Take care of yourself. Your priorities always seem to be in the right place. Sometimes something has to give, and being in 5k condition might be that for this season of your life. But it won't always be that way!