Thursday, January 15, 2015

D7000 vs. D750 + some pictures

jjan14a

I feel like I have so much to say but I'm not one to type out a detailed camera review, especially seeing that said camera hasn't been in my hands for very long  Instead, here are some of my thoughts on the D750 and why I upgraded, and some photos, of course.

I'm happy with my decision to stay with Nikon, versus switching to Canon.  The D750 is similar enough (dials, buttons, menus) to the D7000 so there hasn't been a huge learning curve.  The one major difference, which is going to take me awhile to get used to, relates to reading the exposure indicator and using the dials.  The dials to change the shutter speed and aperture on the D750 are the opposite of those on the D7000.  So while I used to turn the dial this way to increase my shutter speed on the D7000, doing so on the D750 slows down the shutter speed.  And in the viewfinder, the exposure indicator is the opposite of that shown on the D7000.  I can't even tell you how many times this has tripped me up.

ISO capability was one of the main reasons why I wanted to upgrade my camera.  If there wasn't enough light and using my Speedlight wasn't feasible, I had to walk away from the photo.  Otherwise, the results were no bueno.  I don't mind grain.  I've learned to embrace it but I don't like fuzzy photos, which is what I was ending up with.  Sure, at 4x6 size, its passable, not really that noticeable to the untrained eye, but try to blow that up 20% and ack! not sharp at all.  My lens choice, mostly my 35mm, also had a hand in the fuzz.  The camera alone cannot be held 100% responsible.

Full frame lenses can be used with crop sensor cameras but crop lenses aren't compatible with full frame cameras, Well, they can be but the results aren't ideal. Anyway, lucky for me, two of my lenses (my 85mm and my 105mm) are full frame lenses so I don't have to completely overhaul my equipment. My Tokina wide angle is not full frame so I replaced it with a Nikon 14-25mm f/2.8, which is so incredibly sharp and a huge upgrade from the Tokina. (I love it!) I do have a bit of a gap when it comes to coverage - between 24mm and 85mm. I am thinking of adding a 50mm lens but have only scratched the surface with research.

Here are some test shots, so to speak.  I didn't need my Speedlight, even when it was nighttime with zero "natural" light.  I feel like this camera processes light better, if that makes any sense.

jjan13a
Snuggles

jjan13b
The loose tooth

jjan13c
Strength training

jjan13d
Love always

jjan13f
January afternoons

jjan13e

Besides not appreciating the cold, there are other reasons why winter does not appeal to me. The sun starts to fall in the late afternoon (think 4:00) and quite often, it's just plain ugly outside.

jjan13g
Not enough

2 comments:

Wendy said...

You can switch the dials in the direction you want them to go (ie. left to over expose, right to under). I can't recall where exactly you do it- but it's in the camera's menu someplace :)

Sarah said...

Thanks, Wendy! It's in custom settings. I didn't even think of that.