Monday, May 19, 2014

A family that trains together...

The only scale in our home is one I purchased approximately 20 years ago prior to the advent of digital scales.  It wouldn't call it unreliable but it's not exactly accurate.  It will get you within 3-5 (or maybe more) pounds of what your weight is.  Unfortunately, it tells you that you weigh less than you actually do.  So last week, I was weighed at the doctor and I'm 8 pounds more than I was pre-babies.  It's what I weighed when the girls were two years old and so it appears that this has become my comfortable weight but I'm not exactly comfortable with it.  Depending on what's going on, I'll drop a few pounds but then go back to where I was.  My main issue is that I'm out of shape.  Really out of shape.  If I felt like I could kick someone's ass, I wouldn't be looking at my weight.

I was sick for almost the entire month of April with some sort of evil cold/cough that kept manifesting into something else.  I suppose it was good timing that I broke my toe right before that illness came on.  I'm all better now and anxious to run again.  I'm lacking energy and time though.  It always seems like an internal struggle.  

The girls finally upgraded to the next size up bikes (16") this weekend.  There's a "bike path" near our neighborhood.  It's not very long at all so you can't really "bike" on it but it's a good place to take the kids or go for a short run and not worry about traffic.  It was warm out on Saturday so I decided to go for a run later in the day and came up with a way for Allie to come with me.  She biked through our neighborhood while I walked.  She would stop or ride slow so she wasn't too far ahead of me.  Unfortunately, a short part of our journey is on a road without a sidewalk so I walked her bike while she walked in the grass.  When we reached the path, she biked in front of me while I ran and I feel like I ran faster than I would have in order to keep up with her.  I ended up running a little over a mile, which, I keep telling myself, is better than nothing.

It was a fun way to spend some one on one time with Allie.  I told the girls that we could take turns.  Although, that would be too tiring for Anna.  I would probably have to drive over there but we can figure something out.  I can't wait for them to be steady enough for the bike path along the Cape Cod Canal.  I fear that if we tried it now, someone would end up in the water.  Next year...  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being only 8 lbs away from your pre-baby weight is amazing!! Don't be so hard on yourself. You look incredible.

Sarah said...

Thanks, Anon.

Teej said...

I agree with anon, and you also look like you could kick somebody's ass, if necessary. Scrappy!