Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Working the bunny

I have been trying to take advantage of the bunny's upcoming visit. The girls know that the Easter bunny is coming this weekend and they know that he is going to leave eggs and M&Ms. Have I mentioned just how much the girls LOVE M&Ms? It is quite common for them to ask for M&Ms for breakfast. And no, I do not give in to their begging and pleading.

Em still has difficulty at bed time in the Super-clingy-tell-me-twenty-million-stories-and-then-I-have-to-go-to-the-bathroom-again department. I have told the girls that the bunny has very sensitive ears and if he is hopping around the house and hears crying, he might leave their allocated M&Ms with the other children in the neighborhood. You see, the bunny has been hopping around the neighborhood all this week, checking out the houses to see how many children live in each house and how many M&Ms he is going to need.

It has been working. Somewhat. For the past two nights, I have been able to make a clean break from Em's room by telling her that I need to make sure the outside lights are on for the bunny.

I think Allie is a bit afraid of the bunny though. She won't admit to it but I can tell there's something going on there. So last night as I was explaining to Emily that the bunny might be hopping around the house right at that moment, Allie told me that he wasn't. When I asked her where the bunny was then, she responded with, "He's in Florida."

"Florida! What is he doing in Florida?"

"Well, he... he... um, I need to go get in my bed now."

So since we are talking about cute stuff, I have to mention this page from the Richard Scarry book. It's the one with animals doing different things (talking, walking, eating, etc) and it asks you to find the one thing that we can't do. The answer is fly but Allie has been coming up with some other very good answers.

Last week, she pointed to the owl walking down the stairs and said, "We can't walk down stairs." I had to give her credit because, technically, they cannot walk down stairs the same way that the owl does in the picture. They need to hold onto a hand or a rail. Although, I have seen Allie walk down the front outside steps by herself without holding onto anything.

I was interested to see what Allie's answer would be the other night as the girls had walked down the front steps like big girls and I had made a big deal out of them walking down the front steps like big girls. Allie pointed to the owl holding a top hat and said, "We can't take our hats off. That owl is silly. We need to leave our hats on." Right again, Allie!

Okay, one more. Tonight, I found the couch pillows lined up on the family room floor. Allie was rolling around on them and under them, trying to make a bed. Well, Anna came in and exclaimed, "That's my sailboat." Apparently, the pillows were set up as her boat. I told her that Allie was going to take a nap on the boat. Anna yelled, "It's not a sleeping boat!"

Baby chick has a cold and I ended up sleeping downstairs with her last night. Please, please, please let this be a short lived thing because I really want the girls to enjoy this weekend.

3 comments:

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I keep landing on your blog from the Multiples and More site, and I just love seeing what your girls are doing. We have 15-month old fraternal twin girls, and it's fun for me to look ahead to see a glimpse of what's in store. I also enjoy your style of writing, and your pictures are great, too. :)

Best!
Mandy

Sarah said...

Oh, thank you!

Cindy said...

I have been following you for awhile (also from the Multiples and More site) and I wanted to jump in here and tell you that I love your stories and I adore the pictures of your girls. You have a real talent for capturing the essence of life and the pictures you make (not take) are so natural that every one is truly beautiful. Without sounding like a nut job, I had a dream last night that I met you and your girls with my girls and I told you this. I have a 5 year old and twin 21 month olds, all girls. I love to look forward and see what we'll be experiencing with multiples. Thanks for the hopeful future and the occasional reality check!