Sunday, November 9, 2008

Weekend Review

After much hemming and hawing, Rich and I finally decided to take the girls to their cousin Gracie's Christening this morning. The last time the girls attended a mass was in June. For their big sister, Abbey. They did fairly well at that mass except at the end when Emily decided to say "Good" very loudly. Several times. The other church goers thought that she was saying "God."

Today, the church was a half hour drive away which meant that by the time we arrived, the girls were in the zone (aka - on the verge of falling asleep.) Grampa was waiting out front to help carry a baby in. My brother warned Grammy who warned us that the church is very very small and couldn't accommodate our strollers. Em FLIPPED out when I tried to put her cap on and then she FLIPPED out when I tried to hand her over to Grampa.

Rich and I had trouble even getting into the church. I think Em feared that I was handing her over to these strangers and she started crying and monkeying (aka - clinging), which caused Allie to start crying. Some poor woman asked us if we needed to go downstairs to the nursery to play with the toys. Ah, I didn't come all this way to spend my time in the church basement.

The girls calmed down once we made it to our front row reserved seating. Allie was in a state of shock for the longest time. She just kept looking around with her mouth half open. The girls did very well - no crying or fussing. The mass lasted for an hour and 15 minutes. I'm surprised that I wasn't crying or fussing.

My brother and sister-in-law decided to forego a party at their house and in keeping with this church, had a cake in the church function hall with most of the congregation. Rich and I decided to try to go just to say hello and let the girls see their cousins. The place was packed. Emily decided that she was now brave enough to walk around and Grampa had put Anna down. Some little girl came barreling through the crowd and almost took down Emily while Anna stood there about to cry. That's when I announced We're leaving! I found Rich. We're leaving! He didn't ask any questions.

One of the reasons for leaving was to get the girls home in time for a late lunch and then their normal nap. The girls all fell asleep on the way home. Of course. They ate lunch as soon as we walked in the door and then Rich and I decided to put them down for a nap at 1:00. Their mini-nap of 10-15 minutes in the van was not enough. It took an hour and 15 minutes before they were all asleep. No one cried though, which is a miracle. Nap ended at 3:30 when I went in to check on them and didn't like the way Allie had her hand covering her face.

In other news, I had decided that this would be my big weekend of cleaning. That lasted for all of five minutes. As I was putting away clothes, I turned and pulled something in my back/neck. It feels better now but Em was not loving the heating pad I was wearing. She refused to make eye contact with it. She must have thought that I was wearing a therapeutic animal on my neck.

No comments: