Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Question

I have some pictures of the girls in my cubicle now. Individual pictures. A new co-worker happened to be walking by my new spot this morning and asked if these were pictures of my new baby. I know that I met him on my first day and I think he is part of our extended group but I can't remember exactly.

I explained to him that the pictures were of my triplets. So I get the usual wow and comments about identicals and triplets, etc, etc. Then he leans down and lowers his voice and says that he has to ask if I was undergoing any fertility treatments. What???

I don't know if it's odd but the question itself doesn't really bother me. If I were him, I would want to know. I imagine him going home to his wife and telling her that the new tax person has identical triplet girls. I'm sure she would give him grief for not finding out the details. I guess I was really surprised that he was bold enough to ask. We're not complete strangers here. I do have to see him again and again and again for the next however many years.

When I told him that they were spontaneous, the wows and comments continued. He said that maybe he needed to swing by on lottery days and see if some of my good luck would rub off on him. Yeah, I don't know. I like to think of the girls as a blessing versus good luck. Good luck is not always my friend.

No comments: