Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sleeping through the night

Emily is my problem sleeper. I suppose it started way back when I used to sleep with her on my chest and then letting her sleep in the bed with me. I like to think it is a nature versus nurture situation though - she's ALWAYS been a problem sleeper. I didn't create it.

I finally felt like I had mostly recovered sleepwise from Monday night's 2+ hour debacle. I even allowed myself to stay up until 10. Ooooh, late night. Well, Em starts crying at 3:45am. Rich peeks in to check on her. She's laying down - fine. We let her cry for 30 mins. At this point, I know that she's not going back to sleep without some type of intervention. We've let her cry it out for an hour in the past and it doesn't work in the middle of the night. And I didn't want to risk her waking up Anna.

Rich brings her a cold teething ring and rubs her back. He thinks she's going back to sleep - NO. I end up getting up with her and having to walk her to calm her down and sleeping with her on top of me on the couch. I did get her back in her crib at 5. At this point, the sun is up and the birds are chirping away. I managed to fall back asleep around 5:30 only to have Anna start screaming at 6:10. Rich forced the binkie in her mouth and the next thing I knew, it was 7. I suppose teething is to blame so I figure I have another year to 18 months of this.

Gone are the days of sleeping 'til noon.

No comments: