Thursday, May 3, 2018

Monthly Running Recap - April

Years and years ago, when I first began to run a decent amount of mileage, it was all on the treadmill.  I lived in an area that wasn't the greatest for outside running and with our long, dark winters and tax season overtime, I became a treadmill runner.  Later, when I met Rich, also a runner, I started to run outdoors more frequently.  I never had an issue transitioning from treadmill running to outdoors running.  In fact, running outside usually felt easier than running on the treadmill.

All that is to say I have no idea why I've been having difficulty transitioning to running outside right now.  Age?  It feels as if treadmill running is so much easier and that's never been the case for me.  April 1st was Easter and we had a few hours between Rich's family visiting us and when we planned to go over to my parents' house.  The temperature was in the mid-50s which is still not ideal for me but I'd been getting bored running inside so I headed for a run outside.  I don't think I dressed warm enough because after 1 mile, I was still cold.  Because I wanted to run at least 4 miles, I told myself I was going to take it kind of easy with pace.  That first mile was tough and I was convinced I had run a 10 minute mile and that, combined with the cold, was making it difficult.  I was shocked when my watch showed a time of 11:19.  I did speed up a bit for the next mile but then I hit a wind tunnel and it felt like I was running in place.  I had to stop a few times but I reached my goal of at least 4 miles and my overall time wasn't too terrible.

I did run outside a few more times in April and none of those runs felt easy.  I don't know what's going on but I'm just going to keep on moving.  Spring has finally reached us.  Although, it was 90 degrees today.  But I'm not complaining. I'll take heat over cold any day.  I'm going to hopefully turn this thing around.


Total mileage for the month - 52.75 miles
Subtotal for 2018 - 174.25 miles

4/01 - 4.25 miles (time 46:46)
4/03 - 3.5 miles (speed sprints)
4/06 - Tap class
4/07 - 4.75 miles
4/09 - 3.75 miles (speed sprints)
4/11 - 3 miles (speedwork)
4/13 - Tap class
4/14 - 5 miles
4/16 - 4 miles (speedwork)
4/18 - 3.5 miles (speedwork)
4/20 - 2 miles + tap class
4/22 - 5 miles
4/24 - 4 miles (time 40:54 includes 3 walk breaks)
4/26 - 3 miles (speedwork)
4/27 - 2 miles + tap class
4/29 - 5 miles

To see my recap for March, click here.

1 comment:

JEN said...

this is amazing! Kudos to you!!