Sunday, September 15, 2019

The Last of Summer + Biking the CC Rail Trail

9.15a

I had planned to post this last week, but last week did not go as planned.

9.15b

The weather has turned.  Fall is in the air.  For most of the summer, Allie has been saying she can't wait for winter and the colder weather.  We had to run to the store the other night and it was pretty chilly out.  As we were briskly walking across the parking lot, Allie said, "I'm debating over whether or not I really want it to be cold out."

9.15c

We have not been back down to the cottage since school started.  We had originally planned to go this past weekend, but with everything going on with my dad (he's in the hospital), it didn't make sense for me to not be around to help out my parents.

9.15d

These photos are from our mini-vacation before the beginning of school.  It's funny, because typically the ocean warms up over the summer months but we could feel a chill in the water that weekend.

9.15e

9.15f

9.15g

9.15h

9.15i

Last year, Emily and I biked 17 miles of the Cape Cod Rail Trail.  It was something that we talked about doing again this summer and we managed to squeeze it in over Labor Day weekend.  I decided to cut the ride short this year because she still doesn't have a good bike for this type of cycling.  I rode behind her to let her set the pace and I could see her pumping her legs far more than I had to.  I also had to keep slowing down, because her bike wouldn't coast as easily as mine.  Even though my bike is bigger, Rich, who is the one loading and unloading from the bike rack, pointed out that it is much lighter than hers.

9.15j

9.15k

Just like last year, we stopped at this pond/lake for a break.

9.15l

We started in Dennis and ended at Nickerson State Park this time around - a bit over 10 miles in total.  This is a good place to take a break as there are bathrooms, picnic tables and benches.  There's also a parking lot, which made it easy for Rich to pick us up and get the bikes back on the van.

9.15m

9.15n

(Emily's making that face because Allie bombed our photos.)

I'd like to get in a much longer ride so I've come up with a plan for Rich to drop me off at Marconi and then pick me up in Dennis.  I think that's about 19 miles of the trail.  That's probably going to have to wait until next spring though.

9.15o

9.15p

No comments: