Saturday, September 28, 2019

An Early Fall

9.28e

We've been conditioned (brain-washed) into believing that Labor Day marks the complete end of summer.  For us, it certainly feels like we should be ushering in fall as school typically begins right after Labor Day and technically, summer break has ended.  But the summer weather is still very much alive in September.  Usually.  We had a good stretch of cooler weather roll through here shortly after school began and I was not ready for it.  It was hot again the next week because this is New England.  Perhaps the extremely chilly spring we had makes it feel like we didn't have enough summer weather because I am definitely not ready for what's coming our way.

9.28a

Admittedly, I'm a bit of a grump when it comes to apple picking.  Perhaps because now that the girls are older, it takes approximately 15 minutes to pick a peck of apples.  And we don't need 50 apples so that's it.  (I know I can make apple sauce and apple butter and apple crisp and apple pie, but I don't want to.)

9.28b

9.28c

We apple pick every year with friends of ours.  At this point, it's been so many years, the girls view it as a must-do tradition.

9.28d

The leaves of the trees in front of our house began to turn color at the very end of August.  I've been watching them change this past month.  The nights are cooler, jackets are needed in the morning.  The earth continues to revolve.  Life moves forward.  This month, I've wanted it to slow down.

9.28f

9.28g

9.28h

I want to thank everyone who reached out to me with kind comments regarding my dad's condition.  And for all of you who have loved ones living with dementia/Alzheimer's, my heart goes out to you because it truly is devastating to witness.  My dad was moved to a rehabilitation center earlier in the week and is doing better.  The goal right now is to get him back on his feet so he can return home.

No comments: