Sunday, September 23, 2018

Random Life Lately

1.  The girls and I are still getting used to this new schedule.  I thought for sure they would sleep in this weekend, but they were all up before 8:00 both mornings.  In a way, it seems like I have more time when they're at school than I did last year.  This feeling could simply be a by-product of not having time alone this summer.  The house was so quiet on the first day of school that the silence actually had a noise to it.  

2.  My favorite new song, which has held this position for over a month now, is Weezer's cover of Toto's Africa.  I love music and up until 2007 or so, I knew all the new stuff (and old stuff, of course) and then I had kids and that ended pretty quickly.  When I run on the treadmill, I listen to CDs on a stereo set-up - think 1999, but with smaller Bose speakers.  (I still think my speakers from 1995 are better.)  When I clean, I listen to CDs or a radio station that plays mostly '90s alt rock.

I spent a ton of time this summer sewing for Disney and, naturally, I wanted something to listen to.  The little radio near my sewing area can't pick up my alt rock station so I found one playing "'90s through today" which is close enough as they have some '80s thrown in there too.  So that's how I heard the remake of Africa.  The first time I heard it, I was on the other side of the room with the radio low and, only hearing the chorus, thought it was the original.  Otherwise, I have to say that I unfortunately do not like a lot of new music.      

3.  I made the switch to a natural deodorant two weeks ago and, thus far, I've been pleasantly surprised with the results.  I attempted to use an all natural deodorant 20+ years ago when it was considered the hippie thing to do but there was only one company making such deodorant and it felt so sticky and just didn't work for me.

For the past two years, the girls have learned about puberty in health class.  This lead them to come home from school one day with samples of a big brand deodorant, which contained aluminum and all the stuff I don't want them spreading on their skin.  I quickly confiscated those samples and promised to buy them an all natural brand.  They questioned why I could use the "bad" stuff.  "Because it's too late for me."

There was a heat wave the first two days I wore it.  The heat index was between 92 and 103 and I was stuck sitting in my car for 45 minutes both days waiting for the girls to be released from school.  (Yes, I was super early.)  I feel like this deodorant works about the same - or almost the same - as regular deodorant.  While I haven't been completely blown away, (it's deodorant, not a life changing event) I've been happily surprised as I had low expectations going in.  We'll see how long this lasts though.  I find that if I use the same brand of deodorant for an extended period of time (such as a year), it no longer works and I need to switch to something different.

One more thing before I move away from this intriguing discussion on armpits.  Some people say you need to "detox" before switching from regular deo to natural deo.  So you're supposed to go a week or two without wearing any deodorant at all.  I did not do this.  One day, I rolled on regular deodorant and the next, natural deodorant.  I did not get a rash.  The deodorant container does not tell you to detox so I'm not sure how people would know to do this if they weren't reading about it on social media.  So I'm not saying you don't have to do this.  I'm just pointing out that I didn't and I was okay.

4.  With the girls back in school, I've been able to go to appointments I delayed over the summer.  Teeth cleaning and an eye check up.  I'm nearsighted (blind as a bat without contacts or glasses) and was way overdue for an exam, which I needed in order to obtain more contacts.  I also have a floater issue, which I wanted to confirm was just a floater.  So I've had floaters for awhile now.  Not a big deal.  Every so often I'll think there's a bug flying by, but it's a floater.

Last month, I developed a bigger floater that is very noticeable and quite the annoyance, especially when I'm reading.  It bothers me many, many times throughout the day, and not just with reading.  During my exam, my eyes were scanned and the eye doc told me everything looks great.  No tear in the retina.  This is all good news.  Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about the floater so I have to learn to live with it.  Of all the things it could be, the best case scenario was just a floater.  I keep reminding myself of this when I have to put aside reading or paperwork because I'm tired of not being able to see clearly.

5.  We already went apple picking, which seems kind of crazy to me.

9.23a

It was a brutally hot summer but I sort of miss it and I am definitely not ready for winter.  Speaking of winter, I've been deep cleaning the house in a nesting sort of way.

9.23b
Can you see why we call the girls' friend the fourth triplet?

6.  I've been working on some sewing projects for Sarah's Sew Shoppe.  I'll be sure to share everything once I photograph it.  I also have a bigger sewing project I've been delaying for awhile.  I want to make keepsake quilts for the girls from their baby blankets.  I think that will be a good winter project.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What brand of deodorant is it?

JEN said...

"it's too late for me". :) HAHAHHAHA

Sarah said...

Schmidt's