Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Monthly Running Recap - February

Well, my running this month was going well until I fell ill, but I really don't feel like that set me back too far.  My calves were super tight leading up to that point so taking almost a week off gave my body time to recover and reset.  Sometimes a little break is good for you.  I discovered that running speedwork on the same day as my tap class isn't the greatest idea, especially when the class consists of "leg blaster" tapping.  I suffered through a few very sore days after that.

I'm itching to run outside and even though the weather has been warmer and, dare I say, feeling spring-like, it's still too chilly for me.  I actually enjoy running speedwork on the treadmill as it seems to make the time go by faster.  Also helpful is pulling out a CD you haven't listened to in awhile.  Throwing Copper was my pick this week.  If I had to list my top 5 albums from college, this would have to be included.  In addition, I always cover the track and mileage display when I run because watching that slowly tick by is torture.

For the most part, there are two different types of speedwork I do when I'm running on the treadmill:

1. I start off at my normal "slow" treadmill speed and after each song, I bump up the speed a tiny bit.  After I reach peak speed, I'll bring it back down - not as slow as the increase though.

2. I find it difficult to run speed intervals on the treadmill.  This is where you sprint and then either walk or run slowly to recover.  They are more intense for me when I do them outside because it's easier to physically speed up and slow down when not on a treadmill.

Total mileage for the month - 31 miles
Subtotal for the year - 71.5 miles


2/02 - 2.5 miles (speedwork)
2/04 - 3.25 miles
2/06 - 2.75 miles
2/08 - 2.5 miles
2/10 - 2.5 miles (speedwork)
2/12 - 3.25 miles
2/14 - 2.75 miles (speed intervals)
2/16 - 2.5 miles (teeny tiny bump up in speed)
2/18 - 4 miles
2/25 - 2 miles
2/27 - 3 miles (speedwork)

If you want to see my summary for January, you can read that here.

No comments: