Friday, January 2, 2015

Thoughts on the new year

If you've been reading here for awhile, you'll most likely recall that I don't typically make resolutions.  It's always been my thought that if I want to make a change, I'll make it regardless of whether it's January 1st or not.  I sometimes set goals for myself, usually fitness or photography related, and Rich and I have financial goals, of course.  I'm a CPA and he's a CFO so that goes without saying.  So while I always have lots of plans swirling around in my head, I really only have one goal for 2015 and that's to simply survive the year.

As much as I would like to be a superhero, commuting to Boston to work a full time job with three seven year olds is no joke.  On a normal workday with no overtime, I'm gone from home for eleven hours.  Throw in a few hours of overtime and I can easily be MIA for thirteen, fourteen hours.  At the beginning of 2014, I attempted to get back into running, mainly because of the Turks and Caicos trip and, hello, bathing suits.  While I was mildly successful (and by using the term mild, I'm giving myself more credit than I deserve), I really wasn't in the shape I wanted to be in and the rest of the year was a bit of a flop with respect to running.  After my November illness, I jumped back on the treadmill and was able to run four times before I fell ill again.  I have not run since.  I just haven't felt up to it and I've learned when to push myself and when to give it a rest.

So no goals this year to run 1,000 miles or any big road races or set any PRs.  (I once read that your PR is no longer a PR after a certain time period which I would argue is incorrect.  Isn't a personal record just that - a personal record.  Who made up this rule that it disappears after a certain length of time?)   This all doesn't mean that I don't want to run.  I do.  I just need to find a balance that doesn't leave me exhausted.

On the photography front, I would like to continue to grow and develop as a photographer.  2014 was pretty much a status quo kind of year.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I fully acknowledge that some part of my house will be a mess.  Try as I might, I just can't keep it all clean, all the time.

I hope that this year will be the beginning of a turning point in my life.  It will be challenging so I'll need to keep my head down and plow through it.

No comments: