Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mama!

Allie's first word was Dada. Anna's first word was Dada. Emily's first word was Dada.

The girls don't say Mama. Even Emily, who spent the first seven months of her life sharing a bed with me and would physically attach herself to me if humanly possible, does not say Mama. Allie occasionally will screech Maaamaaaamaaaa when she's frustrated with something. I suppose it is meant for me to correct the situation.

I have convinced myself that the girls know that I am Mama. Where's Mama? They know it's me. They have a picture book which includes a photo of me and Rich from our wedding with all twelve of Rich's siblings and his mom. Where's Mama? They put their little fingers right under my face.

Sunday night, Rich and I were sitting on the family room floor playing with the girls before bedtime. Allie was sitting in my lap looking through a book. I kept asking her to say Mama. All of a sudden, Emily, who had been hiding on the other side of the sofa, ran out and yelled Mama! Mama!

I couldn't believe it. I started screaming EMILY. YOU DID IT. I'M SO PROUD OF YOU. YOU DID IT. She was so happy and proud of herself. She had this huge smile on her face and starting walking around taking these big steps.

She hasn't said it since.

Maybe someday.

No comments: